No announcement yet.

Affordable American Made Tube Amp Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate the tone of the B-52 thats all. I've heard it live several times and its one of the worst sounding tube heads I've heard. I don't think its how its dialed in either. Its basic tone is just not up to others I've heard. They're cheap in price yes, but the tone trade off isn't worth it to me.
    And DonP, why do you torture me so?
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
      Fixed. No apostrophe for the possessive.
      I can't believe it took this long to get busted by RacerX. I feel like a real member now. It's not a mistake I make often. I'm sure I've slipped by with other errors before. My grammar not always too good I do try.

Comment

Wassup Guys..be gone for a long time and been playin' ALOT!

I checked out quite a few amps and if I had to walk into any Guitar Ceneter and Grab something quick..it would be a Peavey 3120!!

I was going to buy my son a used B-52 half stack. For the kinda shit we do..it can be dialed in. But I'm glad I didn't grab it at the time because I'm really diggin' The Peavey 3120. It's the best sounding Peavey amp made to date IMO! It would be the closest thing to my Uberschall in the Peavey Camp. Very organic, with Deep low mids that growl when ya crank 'em where they need to be. Something B52s gets too hairy/sizzly for my liking when playing with a loud drummer.

A friend of mine (Ripper's dude) owns two Engl PBs, Two 6505s (5150), and his other guitarist in one of his four bands uses the 3120 and it kicks the 5150s ass...So he bought one.

I also like Marshall JVM..buy used tho. Too much coin new, and people sell their shit because they need money these days.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

you have got to be living in a box somewhere in the USA. There are a ton of all tube USA made amps available at that price range both new and used. I am not even gonna list them. Its that easy.
          Here is one anyway. Carvin V3

Comment

For $1200 you can get amps from Carvin, Peavey, Dr. Z, Greer, Mesa Boogie, Fender, Port City, Tungsten, XTS, THD, Burriss, Carr, Budda, Rivera, and more - you just have to shop around.

If you open your budget up a few more hundred bucks you can add Splawn, Rheinhardt, VHT, Suhr, Soldano, PRS and more.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

hmmm ..all this bickering over where what was made...how Americans should spend their money...who should be receiving our money...yada yada yada... NONE of this arguing amongst us would be happening without our computers...and where do you think the majority of the parts that make up the computer systems in use come from?
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

US, Chinese, Martian

in the end Joe blow gets minimum and some asssuckers on top and in stocks complain about not making enough money themselves
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                  The AT-100 is made in China. Not sure about the ST100. And why the B-52 hate? My AT-100 head gives me a great, tight tone. Maybe the local band doesn't know how to set it up? It can get loose if you want it to. Opened it up and it has very solid connections everywhere. Aside from the expensive re-tube (6x12AX7, 1x12AT7, 4x6L6, 1x5U4), I don't have a problem with it.

A Mesa Single Rec head is under $1200 new.
                  I had an AT-100 for a few years, and got lots of great tones out of it. It's a great amp, and was designed by Bruce Egnater. I'd say if you have a problem getting it to sound good, then it's either broken, or you're doing something wrong.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                    hmmm ..all this bickering over where what was made...how Americans should spend their money...who should be receiving our money...yada yada yada... NONE of this arguing amongst us would be happening without our computers...and where do you think the majority of the parts that make up the computer systems in use come from?
                    What's a computer? I use telepathy.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      I had an AT-100 for a few years, and got lots of great tones out of it. It's a great amp, and was designed by Bruce Egnater. I'd say if you have a problem getting it to sound good, then it's either broken, or you're doing something wrong.
                      Funny you should mention broken. The guy played a B-52 head till it broke, then bought another one If you guys like the B-52 sound/tone, shred away on them. Its all a matter of taste. I personally don't care for their sound.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                        NONE of this arguing amongst us would be happening without our computers...and where do you think the majority of the parts that make up the computer systems in use come from?
                        Well I had my PC custom built with all US-made components...er, it DID cost about $ 17,344.00 but at least I can now lord it over all you communist supporters!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The AT100 is not Made In China, its Made in USA.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                            I'm sorry man, but you're dead wrong. If I hadn't sold mine, I'd show you a pic of the chassis where it clearly says "Made in China".

Some of B-52s pro audio stuff is built in the USA, but ALL of their amps are made in China.

You honestly think you're going to get a USA built tube amp for $599 brand new? Dream on.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                              I'm looking at mine right now and it clearly says made in China.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X