Wiring in an Output Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring in an Output Transformer

Guys, I figured out in my Marshall JCM 800 Reissue that the fault is in the output transformer, I bought a Mercury Magnetics replacement. Does the new tranny just clip in on this model, or solder in? And do you have to drain the filter caps before working on it?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Don't know how the connections on the Reissue are solved (connectors or solder, but i guess solderered) but always drain filter caps before start to work on the amp. As soon as you put your hands inside the amp it has to be save and that means no voltage anywhere.
    Also make sure if color identification of the cables of the replacement transformer matches the original. If not you have to make sure which cable goes where.

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
      Guys, I figured out in my Marshall JCM 800 Reissue that the fault is in the output transformer, I bought a Mercury Magnetics replacement. Does the new tranny just clip in on this model, or solder in?
      Open it up and take a look.
      Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
      And do you have to drain the filter caps before working on it?
      That would be a smart thing to do.

Some amps have bleeder resistors that slowly power down the caps, but not all. If you don't know how to tell, then you should do it. And please don't bleed them by shorting them with a screwdriver. Use a resistor to slowly drain them.

Comment

Working...
      X