Line 6 amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 amps

hey guys i dont know if there are any line 6 threads but i've become a huge fan recently of this company. for christmas i picked up a spider IV 75 watt amp for all of its features and portability. i got an email the other day about some upgraded firmware and tones yadda yadda yadda so i plugged in my laptop to the amp, fed it the new software, and uploaded a couple new tones... wow.

i was already amazed and thoroughly impressed with the tone and versatility that line 6 kicks out from solid state amps but WOW. my new favorite tone is a mesa dual rectifier emulation. i know i know, its no tube head, but hell man for this kind of buck AND never needing the maintenance of a tube head how can ya complain?

i used to rag on these amps for being to techy and lacking in personality but not anymore. these suckers have all kinds of personality and if you dont like the one it has just upload another one!

i dont even use any pedals other than my zakk wylde wah anymore. i'm just so impresse with their current line up i had to make a thread to brag on them.
    good tone isn't something you learn, its something you develop.

I didn't get an email from Line6, and I would definitely like that patch. Is it something you can email, or does it come from Line6's site?

Comment

I've ALWAYS been a Line 6 fan. Even when everyone else hated them. I still love them. My POD Pro is still my go to rig whenever I'm going pissed off/burnt out/uninspired/whatever. I just got a Digitech GSP1101, but thinking I may grab a POD Pro X3 at some point. I was thinking Eleven Rack, but I've just had such good luck with the POD...I don't know...

Comment

I like both my spider ii and pod xt live for at home practice since my splawn sucks at that.
        "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
        Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by kevhogAZ View Post
          I didn't get an email from Line6, and I would definitely like that patch. Is it something you can email, or does it come from Line6's site?

just look up the stuff for your particular amp. all kinds of rad stuff.
          good tone isn't something you learn, its something you develop.

Comment

My guitarist has one of those, and I HATE it. He's currently shopping around for a new amp, and I can't wait till he finds one! Sorry, but not all of us are fans.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

I have a love/dislike relationship with them. I absolutely LOVE my POD 2.6, Flextone II, and Vetta II HD. However, and here's the kicker, I feel that Line 6 has pretty much taken away my alltime favorite model, the original Modern Hi-Gain. I bought a Floor POD a couple of years ago and it went back the same day. It was advertised as having the original POD models, but the Modern Hi-Gain just didn't sound right.

In my humble opinion:

The Flextone III ruined the Flextone series. I started a thread about that here, in fact.

The POD xt ruined the POD series. I thought that some of the cleans were better, but the overdrive tones just didn't have that magic anymore. Fortunately, the POD 2.6 can still be bought new.

The original Vetta lost the original Modern Hi-Gain in favor of Modern Hi-Gain II. The original is a Soldano X88R Preamp. The II is an SLO100 head. I'm sure the real SLO100 sounds amazing, but Line 6 model-wise, I like the original. They didn't restore this tone until the Vetta II came out and the upgraded software was made available for the original.

If they had kept the original overdrive models and improved the cleans, that would have been the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

I've never liked ANY of the Spider models and that includes the Spider Valve.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                In my humble opinion:

The Flextone III ruined the Flextone series. I started a thread about that here, in fact.

The POD xt ruined the POD series. I thought that some of the cleans were better, but the overdrive tones just didn't have that magic anymore. Fortunately, the POD 2.6 can still be bought new.

The original Vetta lost the original Modern Hi-Gain in favor of Modern Hi-Gain II. The original is a Soldano X88R Preamp. The II is an SLO100 head. I'm sure the real SLO100 sounds amazing, but Line 6 model-wise, I like the original. They didn't restore this tone until the Vetta II came out and the upgraded software was made available for the original.
                Here, here!! Agreed 100%

Comment

Love my Spider 3 150 watter....course I am not playing out anywhere but the bedroom~
                  lots of tones and features for my playing. Not a Metal God, but fun for me.

Comment

I have an original Axsys, with the AX2 upgrade, and it still performs flawlessly. Not had any issues at all w/it. It sits on top of a Marshall 4x10, running one of the amp speakers and the cab, it sounds great.
                    It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel....

Comment

Originally posted by darnoc View Post
                      I have an original Axsys, with the AX2 upgrade, and it still performs flawlessly. Not had any issues at all w/it. It sits on top of a Marshall 4x10, running one of the amp speakers and the cab, it sounds great.
                      I still kick myself in the ass for selling mine.
                      BLS/SDMF

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                        My guitarist has one of those, and I HATE it. He's currently shopping around for a new amp, and I can't wait till he finds one! Sorry, but not all of us are fans.
                        +1

I've recently played with a couple of people using them live. On their own, they sound great, in fact some really stunning sounds, but when the band starts up they somehow either get lost in the mix or sound too shrill. I find the same with recording, you can get some great tones, but trying to blend them into the mix is really tricky. Sorry, just prefer tube amps for live and recording, I love my POD but just for home practice.

Comment

Yeah I like the Spider 3s only. Everytime I go to Guitar Center or anywhere to try out a Spider 4 they never work. I have the Spider 3 75 watter. I like it in my room when I am alone playing but when it comes to band practice or a show I just use the 5150.

Comment

Owned a few

I've owned 3: Axsys, original Spider, and PodPro. All sounded GREAT at home. I could dial in any sound from CD's and nail the tone. As live amps, they all suffered and so did I.
                            Lack of power, thin tone, farting speakers, lag when changing patches, all these issues made my models "spare tire" solutions as live rigs.

All in all, I think Line6 products are inovative, I think they're neat, and I'm still impressed by their R&D. I'd buy another, especially since I only play at home now. I've been thinking about the 40-watt Bogner 112 combo. I heard one and it was amazing.

I wish they would have standardized on their foot controllers. That way you could keep your old f/c and use it on any series of amps.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                              As live amps, they all suffered and so did I.
                              Years ago, right after I got my POD 2.6, I had some free time one night and decided to run it across the Marshall 2210 halfstack. After about an hour of fiddling with it, it still sounded like crap. I had done everything "right," like turning off the A.I.R. switch, leaving the Marshall's tone controls flat, you know, the things that everyone says to do.

Finally, in frustration, I decided to break the rules. I turned the A.I.R. switch back on and started playing with different cab models. Guess which one finally nailed my sound? It was a 1x8.

No, I'm not kidding. This gave it the same sound across the Marshall that I had loved across the headphones.

See my writeup in THIS old thread.
                              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                              X