JCM 2000 with Digital Effects Instead of Peavey Vyper 75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 2000 with Digital Effects Instead of Peavey Vyper 75

I bought a Peavey 75 watt Vyper today and though I’m impressed with it I tested the 60 watt, tube version and thought a tube amp and tube pre-amp with a separate modeling effects unit might work out a bit better. What would be a good amp modeling/effects unit (preferably that comes with a pedal) to use with a JCM 2000? Is there anything in the $200-300 range?

TIA
    Last edited by Trussrod; 04-04-2010, 07:59 PM.

The DigiTech GNX series Ive always been a huge fan of(GNX3, GNX4 etc.). Waaaaaay better than their RP series(eww). There are some hidden settings that you wont be able to find without the manual, but luckily you can DL off their site(like 100 pp. english!) Has the ability to run in stomp box mode(assigned pedals instead of programmed patches) and the amp models with the Warp setting is very usable. However the OD stomp box emulation kinda suck but the actual drive channel is excelent. I used to use a GNX3 and a power amp as my live and practice rig, sounded killer, just ended up being cumbersome for load in/out and Im lazy. Also the GNX3 would be best run into your amps return on the effects loop and the GNX set to "Direct" for its amp "target" mode.
    Last edited by Twitch; 04-04-2010, 09:16 PM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

You will get tone suck with just about any modeler/fx unit you choose.
      Look at the GT8, GT10, POD XT Live,...

personally, I think you should look at stomp boxes and a good volume pedal to put in the loop. if you want an all in one processor, look at the Boss ME50.
      You also can't go wrong with a TC Electronics G-Major but you will need a midi controller too.

Comment

How about the TC Electronics Nova System? You can get one off ebay for around $350. TC stuff is always very transparent and you don't have to worry about a separate controller with this unit. That's the one I would get to go with an amp like you have if I were in the market.

Comment

I tried the Boss ME70 and a Line 6 amp modeler. Didn't really like them. I did like the Mesa dual rec and the Diezel ($3,800 used--ouch!). I'll probably end up sticking with tube amps and get a triple rec or dual rec eventually.

Comment

I rarely use effects, almost never. I have a Midiverb 4 I bought years ago and have ran it through the effects loop of my DSL100. Seemed to work fine for me, no issues. I doubt these go for more than $100.

Comment

I use an old yamaha SPX90-II for delay only. On the floor I use a volume pedal and a wah. I don't even use a tuner anymore live. Simple sounds better live to me.

Comment

Working...
              X