opinion on midi controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion on midi controllers

i need some opinions on 2 different midi controllers. i have been using a rocktron midi mate for a long time. it died on me this past week. i liked it, but i am not 100% sure i should buy another one. aside from the fact that i can have my presets titled it is nothing special.

i use a custom-made pedal board with the second tier devoted to the midi controller. i have a footprint of 19" X 7". what i have found that will fit that footprint is:

rolls MP128

tech21 midi moose

does anyone have experience with either of these? i don't need access to a lot of program changes - i use 4 effect patches, and that's it. i don't use expression pedals either. if you have any other suggestions, great - BUT the controller HAS to fit in an area of 19" X 7".

thanks!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

I wouldn't hesitate on the Tech21. The few products I have from them have been top notch. One of them being the MIDI mouse. Which is another one you might consider if you only need to switch between a few patches. Very easy to use and a small footprint. I am currently using it with my Randall Head.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

i am leaning toward the tech 21. i also have a rocktron midi exchange, which is similar to the the midi mouse, but i am too lazy to scroll while i am gigging, hahaha....imagine scrolling, singing and playing - too much for me!!!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

I only use three patches so I don't scroll at all. Tech21 makes good solid products. I have no experience with the Rolls but it doesn't look as sturdy ast he Tech21.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Until I got the Rocktron Midi Mate, I was also looking for a small midi-controller. How about the Digitech Control 7 and 8? The 7 has only switches but the 8 also has an expression pedal. I tried looking for the 8's dimensions but the manual doesnt have it. Both can be had for around $80 - $100 used.
          Sam

Comment

Still happily using a MIDImate. If it breaks... I'll by another I'm figuring, haha.. Can't seem to kill mine.

I'm shopping for a rack looper... ahem..

Comment

My midi buddy is still working great so until it dies no need to look.
              I have used the Behringer midi board and its a nice unit and it has the expression pedal.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've had the Rolls for the last 2 years and I got it used. Apart from the power supply dying it has been really good.
                www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

cool. thanks guys. i just bought another midi-mate. got it in the classifieds, hahaha!
                  GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I use the Midi Mate to change channels on my Carvin V3. I finally figured out how to edit preset titles, but I must have wiped something out and can't change channels any more.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X