Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Classic Series 120, 120/120, 60/60, 50/50...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic Series 120, 120/120, 60/60, 50/50...

Which one of these power amps is the one to get?

I have a Peavey Solid State M-4000 power amp and I like it just fine, but I'd like to maybe try one of the tube variety as well.

I use my V-amp Pro as the pre-amp if you're wondering.

Also, I know I should be running into a speaker cabinet when using a power amp, but right now I run V-amp to Peavey power map, into a KRK Rockit. Am I going to damage any of the components by doing this?
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
    Also, I know I should be running into a speaker cabinet when using a power amp, but right now I run V-amp to Peavey power map, into a KRK Rockit. Am I going to damage any of the components by doing this?
    The V-Amp to the power amp is no problem. As for the power amp to the Rockit, you might want to check the specs on the power amp and make sure it doesn't need an impedence load.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I've had a classic series 120 for at least 15 years. I used to run a metal shredder and some other effects into it and send the output to a 2X12 cab. I haven't used this setup in 10 years so I wouldn't recommend it. It's not the best power amp for metal...

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
        I've had a classic series 120 for at least 15 years. I used to run a metal shredder and some other effects into it and send the output to a 2X12 cab. I haven't used this setup in 10 years so I wouldn't recommend it. It's not the best power amp for metal...
        Heh..that is the first opinion I've heard that says NOT to get one. Most places I've checked online equated the Classic series to a cheaper Mesa alternative.

Good to hear all sides!

Keep em comin!
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Get the 120/120..the more headroom the better IMO!

Great, affordable, reliable poweramps!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The trick is FINDING one!

Comment

120/120 - Dang. My friend just sold one.
              I've had a couple used 50/50 Peaveys. They were dependable, inexpensive, and a major upgrade from my ADA Microfet 100. Although good, they lack the headroom and low-end that I get from my VHT 2902.

Comment

they are greasy sounding to my ears... not that much headroom but if you are using it for home jammin' or small club then they work well.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                  Heh..that is the first opinion I've heard that says NOT to get one. Most places I've checked online equated the Classic series to a cheaper Mesa alternative.

Good to hear all sides!

Keep em comin!
                  After I bought a JCM 2000 I never used this set up again and never missed it. There was nothing about the tone it produced that ever made me want to go back to it--which is why I can't recommend it.

Comment

I *love* my 50/50. I gig with it, just running a pedalboard into it and then out to a Jackson 4x12 or Mesa 2x12 depending on the venue. I also have a 60, which has more of the (in)famous Peavey midrange, but the 50/50 has presence and resonance controls that I really like for fine-tuning EQ. No complaints about the 60, though. With a thin-sounding guitar, it actually helps a bit, probably due to the 6L6s.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have the 50/50 too and love it. I use a Marshall JMP1 into it and its great.
                      www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

I got a 50/50 crazy cheap many years ago, which is why I bought it. I've only used it at home with a Digitech 2120 into a 2x12 cab. I have no complaints but then again I'm not a massive tone aficionado. the 2120 sounds pretty good through it. The extra controls on the front are a bonus. If the price is right, grab it.

Comment

I have the 50/50. As Inazone said the Presence & Resonance controls really help to dial in a good tone. I won't be ridiculous & say it mimicks this amp or that amp, but it sounds much better than most people think, especially those that have had the "pleasure" of playing some bad sounding Peavey amps (Bandit anyone).
                          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                          X