Zoom G1M Michael Ammott pedal = awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom G1M Michael Ammott pedal = awesome

I rarely see any mention of Zoom products on any of the forums I visit, and generally ignore their stuff, but when I saw that they had a Michael Ammott signature version of the G1 pedal, I decided to order one. I'm not a huge Arch Enemy fan (don't have a favorite in the Johan vs. Angela vocal style, just don't like their songwriting formula) but Mike has had some pretty cool guitar tones over the years, and I wanted something that I could just run on "artist settings" when I want to plug in and jam. It appears that I made the right choice.

I haven't even bothered with tweaking settings or saving my own patches - the presets cover all of the tones I usually need: "dry" rhythm tone, lead tone w\ delay, and clean w\ chorus or phaser. In front of a clean amp, it can get a little bright and fizzy, but straight into a tube power amp, HOLY BALLS. If I were to reorder some of the presets in the user patch mode, I could probably gig with the G1M, power amp and cab . . . with no other hardware.

Like I said, I haven't done anything other than run the presets. I've tried it through a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp (EL84s) and Randall RT2 (6L6 and EL34) and it sounds massive. The "ZNR" noise reduction really works well on the patches where it's enabled, and the tones for different band/album sounds (Carnage, Carcass, Arch Enemy and Spiritual Beggars) are very distinct from one to the next. The Carnage distortion setting is pretty worthless because it's just too over-the-top, but everything else is cool. My only complaint is that you can't quickly "scroll" through the various patches. I didn't think I'd be buying a $50 signature distortion pedal, as I generally think of such products as gimimcks, but this thing is easy to use and honestly sounds good enough for gigging and even recording.
    sigpic

sounds cool. I've been wanting to try the Kiko sig model. Hadn't consider the Ammott because I'm not a huge fan of Carcass or AE, but the Spiritual Beggar tones might appeal to me
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
    X