Power amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power amp question

Looks like I have a Peavey Classic Series 60/60 on the way.

Right now I am running a V-Amp Pro into a Peavey M-4000 Mark V Series Solid State power amp.
    Is there any way possible to keep the M-4000 in the line without causing problems? I don't want to run both at once, but I do want to have the option of using one or the other whenever I feel like it without doing a lot of cable switching.

Thanks
    Last edited by bombtek; 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

The short answer is no. The long answer is if youre planning on put the amps in series with each other as it sounds like youre describing, the problem is this; the amp 2nd in the chain will impropperly load the amp 1st in the chain which will cause it to burn up, and the voltage sent from the amp 1st in line from the outputs to the inputs on the amp 2nd in line will destroy the inputs circuitry of the amp 2nd in line. So as you can see youll fry 2 perfectly good amps. What you could do is if the VAmp has stereo outputs run one side to amp A and one side to amp B and turn off which ever amp youre not wanting to use at the moment, and there you have it, both options and no cable switching, just simple on or off.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Scratch that....I now have a Peavey Classic Series 60 (not the 60/60) and a ZOOM 9120 valve DSP
      12ax7 tube preamp on the way.

So my new rack configuration will be consisting of two power amps (each with their own preamp) and pedals/footcontrollers and such. The rack will also have two 8" guitar speakers wired in with a separate jack for each one.

It will look like this (top to bottom)

Amp 1

Laptop to control my V-Amp Pro/FCB1010
      V-Amp Pro
      Peavey M-4000 Mark V Series Solid State power amp
      BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Amp 2

ZOOM 9120 valve DSP 12ax7 tube preamp
      Peavey Classic Series 60 6L6 tube power amp

Speaker Shelf consisting of two 8" Guitar Speakers each with its own input jack

Pedal board with probably 9 pedals

FCB1010 Foot controller

This rack will clean up one messy area for me because as it is right now, I just have stuff strewn about/stacked everywhere.

Rack will be homebuilt. If you cannot picture it in your head, don't worry...I can in mine . I will take pics of it when done.

Oh anyone interested in a Crate V-18 2x12 EL84 tube amp? Just don't use it much and with this new setup being built, I won't use it at all. It's just taking up needed space.
      Last edited by bombtek; 05-03-2010, 01:14 PM.
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Oh yeah forgot to add...I will get an ABY pedal so that I can run both amps at the same time in stereo or one at a time...Can't believe I didnt think of this earlier.

Comment

Working...
        X