No announcement yet.

Looking for some suggestions - setting up a new rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the process of setting up my rack now. Running two amps with an ABY pedal. I will be able to run one or both amps at once. Here is what I have:
    Amp 1
    Zoom 12AX7 Preamp
    Peavey Classic Series 60 (6l6 tube amp)
    Pedalboard (2 different disortion pedals, 2 different OD pedals, Delay, Chorus, Morley ABY pedal and an EQ. Maybe 1 or 2 others, haven't decided)

Amp 2
    Behringer V-Amp 2 Pro preamp
    Peavey Mark V Series solid state power amp
    BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
    Behringer FCB1010 midi controller to control the V-Amp 2 Pro

Oh yeah, each amp will be running into a single 8 inch speaker housed in the rack. This IS my bedroom setup after all, I don't need it to be overpowering.

I've been asked "Why would you need all that for playing in your bedroom?"
    My answer: "I dunno."

It is nearly impossible to explain how much fun gear is to a non-gear head.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

My bedroom rig exists of this:

Randall RM4 - loaded with a blackface, SL+, Ultra Lead and a modded Treadplate (modded into Engl)
      with in the FX loop an Rocktron Intellifex online, 1 RM4 out goes into the return of a Korg DTR-1, the other in a Rocktron Piranha
      The Piranha is used for it's speaker sims (had a Hughes & Kettner Red Box Pro for that, but it's too bassy) into a Fostex VF-08 HD recorder
      hooked up to a mixingdesk running into my hi-fi amp

Pretty simple...

....ofcourse in case I get bored, I can also use my Piranha for drive
      or rewire my ADA MP-1, Hafler Triple Giant, Boss GX-700, and I have a marshall JFX lying around somewhere as well
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

my bedroom rig consists of a rivera M100 combo and a zoom 507 pedal in the loop. works great.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

This is practically my rig

Guitar > 10 Band EQ > ENGL Invader. (Mesa cabs - They sound great)

Bloody amazing.

Of course I have pedals but I could go onstage with just the Invader and get an incredible sound.

EDIT: Rereading the OP, I would just like to clarify I don't use any distortion pedals, but I DO use a THD Hotplate. All of my distortion (and there is lots of it) comes straight from the ENGL

I use my Mark V and Revolution alot offstage, moreso even then my ENGLs. The revolution is a bastard to dial in but once it's there it's really there and the Mark V doesn't have enough gain for what I play with my band.

Also I have a Mesa 2x12 cab I use offstage as I really don't need a 4x12 in any situation. I do have a full stack but most of the time I only use one cab. A full stack is total overkill, I'm probably selling my straight cab.
          Last edited by Grim; 05-12-2010, 07:29 PM.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

In my bedroom is the older (2 channel) Vox Valvetronix 30 watt model with the footswitch to change between the 2 channels. I use only the effects on the amp. The tones are decent especially when you have it cranked.

As a kid and younger adult I tended to have to be a little more frugal & mostly worked with Boss stomp boxes. They had great tone, but I hated the toe tap dance of that type of setup. Any time I was at the local music store I drooled over the rack stuff especially when I got to try it out for the 1st time. Since then I have been a rack guy. My system is Peavey TubeFex into a Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp out to a peavey 4x12 cab. The TubeFex is controlled by a Rocktron Midi Mate. I'm able to get good 80's tones out of this setup and no tap dancing. It amounts to pluggin in 3 cables anytime I move the rig (speaker cable, midi cable, guitar cable). Then of course I need to remember to plug in the power cord.
            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I used to use all sorts of pedals

TS9, delays, compressors, etc

All I use now is a Boss Noise Suppressor and an MXR 10 band EQ

I have had plenty of pedals go down, usually to my apparently very heavy foot or to beer. Boss and MXR just seem like they can take more abuse. Ever since I started playing ENGLs I've never used a pedal that effects sound other than the EQ. ENGLs may be expensive, but I love mine. The Invader is one of the most versatile amps I've ever used. I want to try some rack stuff too, and an Axe FX, but my ENGLs are working perfectly for now. I reccomend you plug into an Invader or Powerball or even a Fireball just to see how kick ass these things really are.

Of course I keep an open mind about amps. I bought a Krank despite all the negative comments about them and I actually love mine. I actually use my Hotrod deluxe from time to time as well - I used to play in a blues/funk band and the strats through the hotrod were perfect, even without any pedals. For my solo guitar stuff I use my Mark V or Krank. But for the band, It's all ENGL. I couldn't live without mine. People ask me, How do I get that tone, What pedals do I use? I just point to the Invader. Or the Powerball. No more need for elaborate rigs, It's into the EQ , and into the ENGL. I spent YEARS fucking with amps, looking for a more brutal distortion. I used to own rectos. I had a modded recto I dubbed the Rectum-Fryer. I had a JCM2000, I had a Peavey 5150, JSX and XXX. Then I tried a Powerball. Then I impulse-purchased an Invader. I didn't even think about the purchase, because I loved my Powerball so much that I knew the Invader would kick ass. I'm a convert.
              Last edited by Grim; 05-29-2010, 12:58 PM.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
              X