Bass Amp Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Amp Help

I'm kind of lost. I'm a guitarist who's switching over to bass and need an amp, but I know very little about bass amps. I need some help and recommendations for an amp. I want something I can learn on, but at the same time, I want something that's gig worthy. I've played through markbass and mesa stuff at GC and know I want something with a lot of gain as well as either a tube pre-amp or an all tube amp. My budget is about $650. I don't care if its a head/ cab or a combo. I play everything from The Beach Boys to Iron Maiden.

I know it's a broad question, but I could use some help as I don't know what direction to go in. Thanks in advance.

I just bought a Hartke 3500. I think it is VX or EX, I would have to look. Used in great condition $400. 4 ten inch speakers. Combo. Sounds phenominal. I dont even have to crank it to keep up with my drummer. It has tube AND solid state preamp.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

In that price range you might be better off getting the lot of gain from a pedal as it would open you up to a lot more amp choices. It sounds like you mainly want a rock tone and not a hifi/slap tone so I would check out the acoustic line from GC as they have a lot to choose form below 650. Another great option would be a Carvin, they make very nice bass amps, the BR510N is the bx500 tube bass head in a 2x10 combo. It's a great amp and very versatile. The ampeg combos would be another choice but I don't think you can get tube in that price range but I not that familiar with their lineup anymore. Peavey makes solid amps as well, I'm just not familiar with the current lineup. Actually the more I think about it that carvin br510n would would be very hard to beat in that price range and would be my recommendation to you.

Comment

For growling drive tone Ashdown is the best bang for buck period.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

You can also check out Orange bass amps, they got plenty of drive. You can get AD-200B which is all tube or Terror Bass which is 500W, SS power section, incredibly light and small and sounds great. Both are excellent for growling rock tone but AD-200 of course is the balls when you crank it, you can get Lemmy's tone easily with it.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Get a used Peavey, they have some good bass amps and then trade up once you get going and decide what you really want. Other than that I would say Ampeg if you got the coin!!

Comment

Ampeg SVT if you can afford it.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

In 30+ years fuggin' with basses and equip.

It's nothing but G&L basses and Carvin bass amps for me..had everything else. Ampeg SVT come second.

I had the best bass tone I ever heard or wanted with my G&L L-2000 and my Bi-amped Carvin "Red Eye" w/ 1-18" and 4-10" cabs. Nothing ever came close thus far. I had many SVTS from the classic 70's to the SVT IIs..some of their speakers blow..really..they blow. Carvins will NOT blow or fart at all. I was so sick of bass speakers farting at LOUD band levels...because I never was in the stage monitors...no need. I had many Peaveys..starting with the old "84 Peavey "MAX" head..wich was based off their old workhorse CS 800 poweramp..packaged in a flight case. Tony Franklin..Szarso..used them at that time. Then I had their MRK III and MRK IV series which is seen on the back of the "Killers' album..and that's exactly why I wanted those...so I bought two stacks at that time. Spending all my cash when I was 'bout 16. But it was cool!

At the end of a very long ride going through every awesome bass and amp in the book. I discovered my winning combo..G&L and Carvin. It's a 100% win/win!!!

I'll never bother with anything else again..seriously.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

here's what I had last..four friends of mine bought 'em too. http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/i...ebassamps.html

If that's Overkill ..get their combo series..especially with the 18" speaker..they are bulletproof. The best speaker in the biz IMO!. They're a copy of the old EV prolines (expensive fuckers). They lost the contract with EV and just made their own version..actually even better!

My last bass..I had two of them. Nothing comes close to these fuckers right from the factory..no "mods" or bullshit. Their active Magnetic Filed pups are the best tone shapin', punchiest, cleanest, smoothest, loudest..ect..in the biz!..http://www.glguitars.com/reviews/L2000.asp
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My Bass player friend who "Money is no object"...is really happy with his Genz/Benz series amps..he just bought the SS 900 watt 2 channel. Its about 9" x 6" x 2" thick! Weighs 4 lbs
                    He also has the Mesa Boogie 750 big block, with matching cabs! So he knows his bass amplification. You can get a great GB 300 watt amp for around $425.00

Comment

Anyone ever play the Tech 21 Landmark 300? I heard some samples and it sounds incredible.

Comment

Working...
                      X