Duncan vs Dimarzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan vs Dimarzio

Hey guys, ive been a duncan user all along having used JB, jazz, 59n, and TB-5.

Ive used the DImarzio tone zone before and what i noticed was it was less
    trebly and generally warmer and fatter, which is certainly what im looking for now as opposed to the aggressive and crisp clear duncans

im eyeing on getting a Tone zone bridge, and paf pro neck.

but can any of you post experiences with sound on these models of dimarzios and duncans?
    Last edited by leevan_lee; 05-12-2010, 05:58 AM.

I like the Tone Zone, I had one paired with the 36th anniversary PAF and it was a great combo.

I have a Tone Zone/Air Norton setup in a different guitar now.

I typically like the Custom so if you like the Custom, but you want something a little darker, I think you will like the Tone Zone. :dunno:

Comment

Tone Zone is a great pickup and will warm up your guitar nicely.
      Air Norton is a good neck PU to pair it with.

Comment

I've found Dimarzio's to be lacking in mid-range yet a smoother top end compared to Duncans.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          I've found Dimarzio's to be lacking in mid-range yet a smoother top end compared to Duncans.
          i wouldn't say lacking midrange, but voiced more towards the lower mid range spectrum as opposed to the upper midrange spectrum. (at least for the Tone Zone.)
          btw... I've got a Tone Zone in the classified section for $50 shipped. PM me.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Any pickup can be a good pickup in the correct guitar.

Comment

I have a Super 3 in my Lado Earth, and it sucks. it's just a messy, fizzy sounding piece of crap. It seems that every time I try Dimarzios I end up hating them.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Any pickup can be a good pickup in the correct guitar.
                exactly. I have great luck with both Duncan and DiMarzios myself. Its a matter of finding the right pickup for to match the guitar its going in. Just becaus eyou like the ToneZone in one guitar doesn't mean you'll like it in a different guitar, with different body wood and bridge etc...
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  I have a Super 3 in my Lado Earth, and it sucks. it's just a messy, fizzy sounding piece of crap. It seems that every time I try Dimarzios I end up hating them.
                  The Super 3 in my PC1 didn't impress me much. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                    exactly. I have great luck with both Duncan and DiMarzios myself. Its a matter of finding the right pickup for to match the guitar its going in. Just becaus eyou like the ToneZone in one guitar doesn't mean you'll like it in a different guitar, with different body wood and bridge etc...
                    +1 I love the Duncan Custom... Except in my hardtail Strat. Everything with a Floyd I've tried it with, it's great, and so is the Tone Zone, but the Custom is a little too dark for the hardtail. The JB with just a 500K volume pot is perfect, though, which some people would instantly dismiss as "way too bright" without actually hearing it in that guitar.

Comment

well the guitar is a Kelly Prof. STD with still its stock pickups.
                      i have a spare duncan jazz here but im thinking about trying dimarzio this time since my king v has a 59 and tb5 already...
                      i want my kelly to be more of the tamer but fatter and warmer player since i find duncans really clear and crispy.
                      ive looked around on pickup review sites and many mention the tone zone to be the fattest sounding dimarzio without being muddy and retaining high output.
                      so has anyone tried it on a poplar body?

Comment

Fatter, warmer?
                        Duncan Custom Custom might also be a Pup to look at
                        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by leevan_lee View Post
                          ...so has anyone tried it on a poplar body?
                          yes. in my 93 Rhoads Pro. it was great! meaty and full of harmonics.
                          ...but too modern sounding for my taste so i switched it out with a Dimarzio Super Distortion.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

ive looked around on pickup review sites and many mention the tone zone to be the fattest sounding dimarzio without being muddy and retaining high output.
                            I put a Tone Zone in an old Dinky HX (poplar, string-thru) and loved it. I had it paired with a Jackson USA J50N. I also tuned that guitar to D.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

well the guitar is a Kelly Prof. STD with still its stock pickups.
                              i have a spare duncan jazz here but im thinking about trying dimarzio this time since my king v has a 59 and tb5 already...
                              i want my kelly to be more of the tamer but fatter and warmer player since i find duncans really clear and crispy.
                              I have a Kelly STD too and find it very bright in general. You might want to look for a pickup described as dark.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X