Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Branching off DiMarzio vs Duncan thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branching off DiMarzio vs Duncan thread..

Any idea which pickups the 80's in house Jackson pickups were voiced after?

I haven't yet heard a tone from any of those pickups that I don't like. Those were awesome fucking pickups.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

I don't know but they were wound on the old Fender machines.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Maybe that explains the Fender chime like J-100 single coils?
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Hmm, that would have to do more with the wirethickness, windings and magnets used
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

IIRC, they weren't trying to copy anything, they simply voiced them for what they wanted to hear. I've never been much of a fan myself...not because of tone but because they never felt/responded like I wanted.

Comment

From what I read, Jackson basically said any monkey can wind a pickup, so they decided to wind there own.

I like Jackson pickups, in fact I like all pickups. I can find good tones in just about anything.

I'm not picky

Comment

Years ago I was lucky enough to talk to Grover Jackson about these pickups. He said they wound them in house (not Fender) and that they were looking to lower costs by offering their own electronics and hardware. The JT-6 began to replace Kahler and Floyd Rose models. Obviously they were looking for high, driving output with their J-90 series and even some of the single coils pushed out hard, the "X" in the model designation indicates extra windings and higher output. I mean, a single coil with 17 Kohm output rivals most high gain humbuckers!
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

They purchased Fenders old machines. Abigail Ybarra (super queen of fenders custom shop pickups) worked for Jackson in the 80s and 90s.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

That makes sense then. I thought you meant that Fender was winding them. I had a Soloist with Ybarra's signature on the hangtag for the wiring. She was certainly the super star.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                  X