Randall RM4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall RM4?

Seriously considering picking up a Randall RM4 pre. Are you Randall users (jgcable, others?) still happy with these modular Randall preamps?

How much do they weigh? I like to keep my rack rig relatively light since I move it around a bunch.

I still love mine & haven't even scratched the surface. Wanting to buy some more mods & try the other flavours out there. I'm really hankering after a Plexi for those mid-gain tones. And then I'm sure I'll succumb to the slippery slope that is module modification.

The RM100 is a seriously heavy fucker though. I believe the RM4 is much easier to carry about, largely because it has no transformers onboard. And if you want to stay lean & portable, you could always case up the pre- and power-amps separately.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I've been jonesing for 1 of these for awhile. It doesn't help to lurk around the MTS Forum to quash the urge. While I have not heard any modules in the RM4, I have heard the Kirk Hammet modules in his signature amp. It sounded damn good. I really want to hear the Lynch modules.
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Have 1 as well, rates a good notch higher above my ADA MP-1

Definitely not a one trick pony, and if the oem modules are starting to bore you, ship em out to have them modded by one several people on the Randall forums and your fresh again

recently had one module modded towards an Engl ...oh boy

I currently own 4 different preamps (add a Rocktron Piranha and Hafler Triple Giant to above), If I ever need to sell, the Randall would be the last to go

As for the weight of an RM4, I sent one out (loaner) which fully loaded weighed in at 25 pounds, so if you want to save weight compared to an RM100 better not go overboard with your poweramp
        Last edited by Nightbat; 05-25-2010, 12:41 PM.
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I have both the RM100 head and an RM4 pre-amp paired up in a rack with a Randall 2/50/2 power amp. they both sound fantastic. Most of the weight in that rack is from the power amp though. Tube power amps are very heavy. Actually the rack has the Randall pre-amp, power amp, a G-Major for effects, and a Furman power strip.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

yeah I use a Mesa 20/20 for my poweramp which is nice and light but plenty powerful. Glad to hear the preamp part isn't that heavy. I am SO interested in checking out one of these now. Thanks for the info everyone!

Comment

I also meant to ask: is there much difference between the Randall RM4 and the Egnater M4? I see that the egnater is made in USA... where is the Randall made (I try to avoid anything made in china)? I assume the Egnater is also much more expensive?

Comment

From my understanding the Egnator will work with the new Egnator dual preamp modules, which would essentially give you 8 preamp channels, where as the Randall will not work with the egnator dual preamp modules to use both "channels".

On the back of the RM4s it says; Electronics assembled in Korea.
                KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Thanks again. Looking forward to trying one soon.

Comment

RM's are friggin' cool. I had one for a bit. The pro-modded modules (specifically the ones Pete - "gigmods" - does) can be breathtaking. I went back to an "all in one" deal though - the Eleven Rack.

The RM's are UNBELIEVABLY heavy though...

Comment

Working...
                    X