Boost Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost Pedal

I made a boost box actually (hard to find an DPDT switch like what I wanted) out of a EMG Afterburner. I built it out of The Afterburner and a project box from Radio Shack. It runs off of a DC adapter only as there wasnt enough room in the box for a 9V. Its much cleaner and more transparent than other ready made boosters I had demoed. I had demoed the SD p/u booster pedal and various overdrive pedals and this is way better to my ears. All its made of is the Afterburner, 2 tip/sleeve jacks, DC adapter socket and a project box. As the Afterburner came with my DKMGTFF, it was essentially free. As for the rest of the project, it only totaled roughly $10. Ill post pics when I get a chance. Ive actually got it in the effects loop of my Stein right now as a boost(the Stein to me sounds better at lower volumes, it seems to lose some definition if I crank the master on it, still has plenty of bass though so Im using the Afterburner to boost the preamps final level gain stage into the power amp rather than using the channels master to boost volume into the power amp. It works, dont know why but this way it retains the lower volume tone at higher volumes if boosted with the Afterburner). In front of the amp it makes a very clean and transparent input pusher(at the 20 db mark its total overload though).
    Last edited by Twitch; 05-28-2010, 06:32 AM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

BTW, I know a lot of you laugh and point fingers at the Krankenstein, but its got real potential to me cause I know how to fiddle around inside an amp to make it sound how I want. Ive got new PI coupling caps comin for it that should boost the bass pass through to the power amp. 99% sure that will get me into ENGL type territory as far as fullness of the sound, but Ill save that for another thread when I complete the mod.

Comment

Inside shot^^

Full shot^^

Comment

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Comment

that's pretty cool man, i built a little boost pedal myself a couple years ago, and now i'm finally putting it in a real enclosure.
          Red JDR-94
          Maroon PS-3T with shark fin neck
          Duncan Invader pickups
          Jackson>ZW Wah>Vintage phase 90>ZW OD or Boss SD>Maxon SD9>MXR Flange 117>NS2>Bugera 1960>effects loop>boss chorus>MXR 10-band>effects loop return

Comment

looks good. No thoughts for making it footswitchable? Would the project box stand up the rigours of being stomped on?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

You should consider shielding that plastic box just to help keep it from picking up 60Hz hum.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

AHA!! All on my own, I just thought of a great idea for a use for the afterburner in my stash!!! lol

That's a great idea. If you're not planning on mass production and making your first $million, any chance I could get a copy of the wiring/schematic? Or at least much bigger pics for me to reverse engineer... ya know, like the chinese..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Yes Ive thought about making it true bypass foot switchable with a DPDT switch, but 1, Ill need a bigger enclosure as you can see and 2, is finding a rugged enough switch to fit the spec mentioned. As far as the plastic enclosure being stomp worthy, I dont know. I know where to get aluminum project boxes, while not as asthetically pleasing, Im sure theyd handle the rigors of being stomped on better.

Want bigger pics? Follow link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/emerson47201/

Click a pic, when new window pops up choose the "all sizes" link directly above the pic.

Heres a hint, I wired it exactly as the it would have been wired in a guitar, just I made an adaption of non -switching jacks and DC adaptor power rather than 9V battery power.
                  Last edited by Twitch; 05-28-2010, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Green= output jack +
                    Adjacent Black= output jack -
                    White= input jack +
                    Adjacent Black= input jack -
                    Red= DC jack sleeve
                    Jumper wire from DC jack tip to - on input jack

Comment

Originally posted by brandoz28 View Post
                      that's pretty cool man, i built a little boost pedal myself a couple years ago, and now i'm finally putting it in a real enclosure.
                      Originally posted by warlok View Post
                      AHA!! All on my own, I just thought of a great idea for a use for the afterburner in my stash!!! lol

That's a great idea. If you're not planning on mass production and making your first $million, any chance I could get a copy of the wiring/schematic? Or at least much bigger pics for me to reverse engineer... ya know, like the chinese..
                      Id like to see them when youre finished building.

Comment

if you go to small bear electronics you can get enclosures and stuff for CHEAP
                        Red JDR-94
                        Maroon PS-3T with shark fin neck
                        Duncan Invader pickups
                        Jackson>ZW Wah>Vintage phase 90>ZW OD or Boss SD>Maxon SD9>MXR Flange 117>NS2>Bugera 1960>effects loop>boss chorus>MXR 10-band>effects loop return

Comment

Working...
                        X