New Amp day for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp day for me

I have this old Peavey PAG that I've been using for band practice and have slowly become less and less happy with it. So I thought I'd check out craigslist for some combos. Any way, by luck, when I checked the ads, the first thing to appear was a H&K TriAmp. It had seen it's days but the seller only wanted $450 for it so I jumped. He delivered it to me at my last show so I really purchased the thing without a test run, very uncommon for me. Over the last two days, I've been giving it a really run through and I must admit, I kind like the beast (because it weight a ton w/2 transformers). It a 3 channel amp with 2 gain stages per channel. So far, there is really only 1 out the 6 that I don't like. The Clean channel stage 1 is very clean, Fender clean. Stage 2 get's some really nice break-up if you turn the gain up a little. Both stages, very usable. Channel 2 sort-a take the next step where channel 1 left off. Stage 2 on this channel is a little weak, very muddy where as stage 1 is bright and clean. I got some amazing AC/DC tones from this channel. Channel 3 is gain to the max. Both stages on this channel are usable. The stage 2 on this channel is close to the tone I get from my 3rd channel of my JSX.

The effects loops when in serial mode, sounds pretty damn good. I really didn't get the tone suckage that I get from my TSL100. I very pleased with the loop on this amp.

My only gripe if any, is that the amount of gain given to any stage effects it db output. I find that when I turn the gain down on a stage for a channel, it's output is way less than the other stage for that same channel. So when switching between stages on a channel can produce some undesireable output. Because of this, I'm force to set the amount of gain for each stage (of a channel) to be very close to each other. This is basically because the two stages of a channel share a common eq and channel volume.

In closing, I think I got a great deal for the $450 I spent. I might have to keep my eyes open for a TriAmp 2.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Thats good to hear. I tried a Duotone once and it sounded like ass! A lot of other people Ive talked to dont like any of the H&K models. I might have to find a Tri-Amp and give it a listen. Any other amps tones you could compare it to??
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

LOL! I've been doing the AC/DC thing lately too through my amps. It's funny, they aren't the hardest / crunchiest thing in the planet, but when you get that tone going, it just rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        LOL! I've been doing the AC/DC thing lately too through my amps. It's funny, they aren't the hardest / crunchiest thing in the planet, but when you get that tone going, it just rocks.
        Yeah, I'm not much into playing AC/DC much anymore but when you've got their tone working, ya just gotta do "whole lotta rosie" and "hells bells" and everything past and present...we'll more past ~

I really can't comment too much more on the channels as in a compairision to something else because I'm not much of a amp head. I just like many of the tones I get from this amp. I have a show this Saturday and I going to take this amp with me (and bring my JSX as a back up just in case).

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

A Tri-Amp for $450???

Wow...

Stolen, or did he have a habit? Awesome score.

Comment

Just wanted to update everyone regarding the amp. Well, Channel 1 is the highlight of the show (both a/b) on this one. I got some great sounds from this channel, cut through the mix very well. Channel 2 (a) did a great job for those crunch songs where you wanted some nice clean with just enough break up. Channel 2 (b) was ok for some rhythm work. Channel 3 (a/b) did great, I used b more often that a in my solo work.

The best thing about this amp, i dropped it down 3 stairs and it worked just fine. I'm just happy this amp was already beatup on the outside

joe...
            www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Working...
            X