Krankenstein update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krankenstein update

Just made the phase inverter coupling caps mod I had mentioned before. Swapped out the .022 uf caps that were stock with .1 uf caps I ordered.

Big difference in bass pass through to the power section. Not quite Uberschall like I thought it would be but close. I looked up the schematic for the Uber and it has .47 uf caps I think between the 2nd and 3rd gain stages or between the final and front of the phase inverter where the Krank seems to have .022 uf caps coupling all gain stages. I think that would be the main difference in the bass reproduction.

Anyhow, Im very pleased with the outcome. Chords have a more full sound now and the palm mutes are just brutal and it still retains its mid range bite. Again, Im blown away by the results. Next Id like to get some good power tubes though as it came stock with Sovtek 5881s which Ive found in every amp Ive had them in are a little flat sounding. Also the JJ preamp tubes I had put in it finally burned in and what a difference theyve made. Every amp Ive put the JJ 12AX7s in has just come to life.

Anyhow, there we have it. I took a gamble on this amp despite the very mixed reviews about it and its well on its way to being one of the best sounding amps Ive ever had. Im almost starting to prefer it over my X100B, its just so much more aggressive sounding. The X100B is very fluid and full sounding, very smooth which I like alot, has great definition, but the Stein is just plain aggressive in comparison and has great definition as well. Anyhow, off rant now.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Sounds good. Sometimes a litle fine tuning of the tone stack is all you need. I think we all know what it's like when your rig starts sounding great. I'm playing my R8 into a Laney AOR 50 and it's total big loud proud AC/DC. In Your Face LOL!

Comment

It's great that you can do this stuff. I recall buying capacitors to block bass frequencies that the small speakers in my car stereo couldn't handle so I have been aware of the effect that they have on bass response. I never considered modifying an amp in this way. Good job, Twitch.

Comment

sound clips, or you modded a bugera

Comment

Would love to but dont have the means to record it in a decent fashion and dont have the money to go to the studio down the street. BTW, theres nothing wrong with Bugera other than theyre chinese.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
          X