Tube Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Suggestions

One of the pre-amp tubes went in my JCM2000. I'd like suggestions for pre-amp tubes and places to buy them.I had an old 12ax7 I swapped in from another pre-amp so I'm not in a hurry. Are JJ tubes the best? Are their high gain versions better than the other tubes they sell? Has anyone put all ECC83's/12ax7's in their JCM2000?

TIA

Dont know about the best, but Ive been very pleased with all my JJ purchases so far. Very well rounded tone once they burn in, not harsh at all like EH or Ruby. I order mine through eurotubes.com. The guys there are helpful and shippings always been in a timely fashion. Their prices are very reasonable as well as opposed to GT and others. The only thing that irritates me about them is theyll try to tell you every time that theres no accurate way to bias an amp w/o a bias probe, which they sell so go figure. Other than that, theyre great. I certainly plan on buying from them again.
    Last edited by Twitch; 06-04-2010, 11:54 AM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I was happy with Tung-Sol in my Genz Benz before it died. Very high gain, so don't expect much of a clean tone.
      Scott

Comment

Oh and if you order from eurotubes, I highly reccomend a balanced phase inverter tube. I used to think it was kind of a gimmick but one comes with the full retube kits they offer and it does make a very nice difference. It did noticeably smooth the over all sound of the amp I put it in.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
          Oh and if you order from eurotubes, I highly reccomend a balanced phase inverter tube. I used to think it was kind of a gimmick but one comes with the full retube kits they offer and it does make a very nice difference. It did noticeably smooth the over all sound of the amp I put it in.
          It does make sense to get a quiet, balanced 12AX7 for the PI since the amp uses both halves to split the guitar signal.
          Scott

Comment

i use JJ's in my rivera combo amps, medium gain 12ax7's. my main amp, the s120 head, has vintage RCA 12ax7's. i LOVE those.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My favorite combo of tubes is Svetlana EL34 and Tung-Sol 12AX7...they sounded phenomenal in my first Rivera and I eventually plan on doing the same in my current Rivera. Definitely check out options for testing/selecting the phase inverter...usually only a couple bucks extra and well worth it.

Spiv took my advice on the Tung-Sols and seemed to be very happy with them as well.

Comment

tubestore.com and lordvalv for your tubes...
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Tung-Sol in V1, Shuguan in V2
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Depends what sort of tone you want. JJ's are known for their extensive ballsy midrange. So, when I put them in a Mark IV which is already a very middy amp, the tone was very fat and lacked the bite. I switched to EH preamp tubes and couldn't be happier. The power tubes were still JJ's tho. Dont be afraid to try Sovtek and EH tubes too.
                    Sam

Comment

Working...
                    X