ultimate 80s style distortion-overdrive pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vondran View Post
    To be truthful, it sounds like you're just not liking this amp. The basic rule is you got to love the sound of the guitar straight into the amp first. Pedals and aftermarket mods tweak it from there.
    nah...this isn't the case...this amp is by far the best sounding amp I've ever owned. Granted...my experience and the amount of amps that I've owned is limited...unlike my experience with guitars...that said, I see real potential with this thing. And as I stated earlier...I bought it because it sounded amazing in the store. I've just had difficulty finding perfection...and I'm a perfectionist.
    Years ago, I would've just cranked it, jammed with my band and said..hell..it sounds ok to me. I'm a lot older and a little wiser now...and I do realize that the perfect tone (in my case an 80s tight, bright melodic hard rock tone), is attainable without spending tons of money. In 1989, you needed to spend quite a bit to get perfection...so I just didn't strive for it.
    I played every amp in the store...from Mesa, Marshall, Vox, Fender, etc...and this one kicked me in the pants. So I know the potential is there...it's just tweaking it has always been a problem for me...not just with this one...every amp I've owned all the way up to this one.

I'm just about there...I just know there's even more of what I'm looking for. I just want to find it. Hell...I know a lotta guys that rely completely on effects...use an amp clean, throw a bunch of effects through it, and they're good to go. I do prefer to use the amp to attain that perfect tone..at least to some degree. This one is really good...I just know I can make it better...and I aint gonna stop until I get there.

Getting suggestions here is probably the best thing I can do because it gives me lots of ideas. Not to mention, I'm learning a lot in the process...so it's a win win.
    Todd M

Comment

Wampler Plextortion and/or Pinnacle.

Sort of pricey, but both very good at doing the hot rodded Marshall/80's distortion thing.

Crunchbox, mentioned earlier, is good.

Box of Rock - but I preferred my Wamplers to it.

Comment

Working...
      X