Gigging amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging amps

I started a hard rock, metal cover band and we're gearing up to play out soon. Got a Mesa dual recti Roadster 212 combo that has everything I want in an amp but weighs a f*cking ton. Not sure if it's the best amp for gigging. So, to all the gigging metal/hard rock guitarists' out there in JCF land-

1)Do you mic your amps and run them through the venue's PA or do you rely on the raw power/volume of your amp to carry your signal? I'm sure it depends on the venue...

2)If you use your amp exclusively to push your sound, do you have one you'd recommend?
    I'm looking for a versatile, road worthy and cost effective amp for gigging. Not sure if my combo is big enough and I prefer something with excellent volume control (solo/lead boost) in a 100 watt head and 4x 12 cab.

If that combo isn't big enough you're gonna be miking up anyhow

"I'm looking for a versatile, road worthy and cost effective amp for gigging."

...you already own that
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

to answer your questions:

1. it totally depends on the venue.

2. your combo is MORE than enough for almost ANY gigging situation. look no further than what you already own.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I gotta say, it doesn't really come more road worthy than a roadster. It's kind of what the whole amp is designed around...
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

1. Depends on the venue but more often that not my amp was not miked or only miked for monitor purposes.

2. That combo is perfect for gigging, as long as you like the sound.
          Scott

Comment

I'd go with TWO Uberschalls and FOUR 4X12 cabs just in case!

In fact, that'll be sweet at any venue!!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Just get a 412 or 212 cab to go with your amp. You realize that ANY decent 412 is gonna weigh more than your 212 combo does, right? But a 412 or even 212 sealed back combo will give you a tighter bass response. I'd guess it has a direct output too, that's probably better than mic'ing it for the soundman. If you aren't mixed through the PA then only people standing in front of your amp are gonna hear you out in the venue. So don't be a prick and work with the soundman even if you have to turn down a little, or you will be absent from the board recordings.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Maybe the memory is a little hazy; I don't remember how heavy the Marshall 100 watt, Peavey 5150 or even Peavey VTM heads I used to play thru were but I swear this Roadster weighs more than any of those heads by themselves. And I don't know about you, but even back then, I usually didn't lift my cab and head at the same time. That being said, since I love the tone and features of the Roadster, I should just roll with that. Especially since I don't see our band playing anything larger than your basic club or pub. Truth is, we ain't that good- lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                  Maybe the memory is a little hazy; I don't remember how heavy the Marshall 100 watt, Peavey 5150 or even Peavey VTM heads I used to play thru were but I swear this Roadster weighs more than any of those heads by themselves. And I don't know about you, but even back then, I usually didn't lift my cab and head at the same time. That being said, since I love the tone and features of the Roadster, I should just roll with that. Especially since I don't see our band playing anything larger than your basic club or pub. Truth is, we ain't that good- lol!!!
                  Well, I'll put it to you this way... my Carvin X-Series 412 cab weighs 103 lbs. Think your 212 combo weighs more than that? Well meaybe it does, but I kinda doubt it. So I'm saying your 212 combo doesn't weigh more than a 412 cab. And since you aren't carrying the 412 and the 212 art the same time, and by the fact you say you WANT a 412 I figure you can HANDLE it, then you should be able to handle the combo too.

If you like the sound you're getting, why fuck with it? If you really want a head and cab rig, then get the head version of your Mesa, and a Mesa cab. Problem solved.
                  Last edited by lerxstcat; 06-08-2010, 07:32 PM.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

When I got back into gigging, I went to a combo amp, cause I thought it'd be easier to lug in and out of gigs.................Boy, was I WRONG! With a combo, you have not only the head, but the speakers, as well. I don't know about you, but I found it much easier to push a 4x12 standing up, and the head, separate, than to try and carry the combo, or, if it had wheels like some, push it, all hunched over. I quickly said "Screw this", and went back to a half stack. I can even hear myself, better, than with the combo, too.

Just my 2 cents.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I've gigged a few of my amps ranging from a Bad Cat Hot Cat 1x12 combo to a Bogner Uberschall with 4x12 cab. Lugging in any of those amps is just part of loading in our equipment and doesn't matter how heavy they are as they are in road cases on wheels. Currently I'm using a Marshall Randy Rhoads 1/2 stack, in road cases with wheels.
                      We mic our drums/amps at 99% of our gigs. By micing everything you get much better control over the mix that the audience hears upfront as well as send what you need to monitors. Most of the time the only thing not mic'd are the crash cymbals although in larger places we'll throw a couple of condenser mics overhead on them.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

If you like the sound, you have one the ultimate gigging amps already. If weight is an issue, do what I did...run an AxeFX Ultra into a powered FRFR and to the FOH system. Lightweight and portable, and consistantly sounds as good or better than anything money can buy.

Comment

You guys need to hit the fucking gym if you're complaining about carrying your amps. That, or get a roadie.

Seriously - my Boogie 1x12 is a backbreaker - but I'd rather go with a combo - less to carry - guitar, amp, done.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

I used to gig with either a Peavey Classic 50/212 and a 2x12 cab, or a Classic 50/410 that weighed roughly the same as the 50/212. So, other than switching to a 4x10 combo amp, I don't think you'd save on weight by switching to a head and cab, except to split into two pieces that can be carried individually. Basically, it came down to a matter of convenience, as there wasn't much difference in terms of sound projection.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                              You guys need to hit the fucking gym if you're complaining about carrying your amps. That, or get a roadie.

Seriously - my Boogie 1x12 is a backbreaker - but I'd rather go with a combo - less to carry - guitar, amp, done.
                              Hitting the gym is something I've been doing since I was 16. I'm now 45 and while I've benched 310 and squatted over 400 lbs. I'm still not fond of lugging the fucking Roadster outta the basement studio and I'm not rich enough to afford a roadie... But your point is somewhat valid; sounds like I need to shut up and lug it until something better comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X