New to me amp Sovtek mig 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me amp Sovtek mig 100

Just got a Sovtek mig 100 for $50. The thing is heavy as all get out and it looks old. The only thing wrong with it is the high gain input doesn't work. I am going to use it as is with the low gain input and put my pedals in front of it but will fix the high gain input jack later. I've had the last problem with my Peavey valveking that I'm going to have, it's still under waranty so it's going to get fixxed but then I'm giving it to my ex-wifes oldest boy. I can't find much info on this old girl is there a place that I'm missing?
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

I remember trying one when these first came out in the early 90's. If you can't find a schematic you could always try testing individual components.

Comment

I found some pics here: http://www.kramerforum.com/george/amps.html

That's a simple looking amp, lol.

Comment

http://www.blueguitar.org/schems.htm#Sovtek

and a few others if you ever need them
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I had one of those briefly. LOUD mofo, and not bad sounding at all.

Comment

Not "too" far removed from a Marshal 800-ish thing. Seen guys run a misc tradtional OD's and distortion pedals into them and sound great. If the Bay Area thrash thing is your gig, you'll probably be there with an OD-1.

Cheap pots and switches usually, but a cool amp and but you really got a steal at 50 bucks... I've seen them go for 250-400 around here.

Of course, watch your speaker impedences and don't mismatch.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Yeah all the plastic looks like a problem waiting to happen. All of the input, output jacks and the 2 switches are going to be replaced with metal ones they look pretty standard. My cabinet is a frankenstien type that a buddy gave me. I put 2 of the Valveking speakers in it and 2 Eminence man-o-war speakers in aswel the Peaveys are coming out and some Eminence texas heat speakers are going in. But for the mean time its only going to get a change in wiring it's 4ohm now and it's going to be 16ohm when I get it done.I wanted to make it an 8ohm cab but with 16ohm speakers I couldn't find a way to wire it. Peace to all. Thanks again.
              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

The migs kick ass what a great score.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                  Thanks for the help. Yeah all the plastic looks like a problem waiting to happen. All of the input, output jacks and the 2 switches are going to be replaced with metal ones they look pretty standard. My cabinet is a frankenstien type that a buddy gave me. I put 2 of the Valveking speakers in it and 2 Eminence man-o-war speakers in aswel the Peaveys are coming out and some Eminence texas heat speakers are going in. But for the mean time its only going to get a change in wiring it's 4ohm now and it's going to be 16ohm when I get it done.I wanted to make it an 8ohm cab but with 16ohm speakers I couldn't find a way to wire it. Peace to all. Thanks again.
                  You are correct, with 16ohm speakers there is no way to wire for 8ohms.
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

You can't beat $50 for a 100w tube amp.

Comment

$50 for the poor-man's JCM 800 is a steal...add a couple hundred to swap out the plastic for metal, and you're in business!
                      Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Used it friday night for a party gig, the guy I got it from was wrong the high gain input worked all it needed was a new set of tubes I had a set of Ruby 6l6s laying around, stuck them in and it worked perfect. The sound man said it sounded better than my new peavey had ever sounded. Big grin and a chub too boot. Now I need to buy a reverb pedal thats not a total piecer, it never ends.

Comment

Working...
                        X