Class 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 5

Got mine today and really quite impressed nice nice cleans with a tele or strat.
    The sweet spot is just after 5 on the vol mids about 5 and bass at 9-10.
    Really growls with a humbucker guitar.
    Tried the OCD and it helped some but suck a bit of tone IMO not bad tho'.
    Take into acct the tubes haven't really settled in and the speaker needs some time as well.Can't wait to try it thru my 800 4X12 cab.
    Not overly loud as you could expect but its pretty damn loud for 5 watts.
    Has all the Marshall tones and crunch in spades.
    And yes guys its all made in England.

Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Those things are so beautiful! Makes you want to buy one just to sit and look at it reguardless of the tone!

Comment

Its a nice looking vintage style amp and for $399.00 a steal.
      The dealer I got it from only gets 3-4 at a time and they sell out quick then 2-3 months before they can get more.
      The first ones I saw had a closed back but these are vented.
      I'm really enjoying this little amp so far.

Comment

Its a great sounding little amp. See the other Class 5 thread for more info
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Had some free time today to tweak the 5 with a 1960A 800 cab with 75 watters.
          Deff not a good match for the class 5 IMO gets pretty woofy and unruly.
          Tried out my Ampeg 4X12 with vintage 30's and way better has nice full fat low end punch.
          Very sweet growl to it as well.
          A buddy brought over his Fender 2X12, Marshall 2X12 and Two Rock 2X12 cabs and WOW a 2X12 is the way to go with the class 5.All 3 cabs sounded great but hands down the Fender cab won out.

Comment

I wonder if that's because the Fender cab is more tuned to the type of tone the Class 5 puts out. I mean a Class 5 is probably real similar to say an early champ amp as far as tube configuration and possibly tone. Course I'm just kinda guessing here. Do you know if the Fender had Alnico speakers in it?

Comment

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. I have one on the way. Musicians Friend had used ones for $351 w/free shipping, plus another 15% off that for the 4th of July sale and I had an extra $20 with paypal. So I just pulled the trigger on it. I'll give my review after it gets here. I can't wait to get it!

Comment

I have picked up some vintage NOS Mullards and a set of RCA's for this one so need to test them out this weekend maybe.

Comment

Well I got mine as well and love it! It's a really good sounding little amp and loves pedals. It's not as loud as say the Valve Jr but this is an amp you don't want loud. It's something you want for practice. What I like about it is that it can get darker sounding than the other amps in it's class but isn't muddy/mushy sounding. I think Marshall did a great job with these little things! I can't wait to play with it some more!

Comment

The key to these is vintage tubes.
                    I have the Mullards in it now and boy what a difference.
                    Nice thick warm/smooth sound.Added a reverb pedal(Marshall) to give a little more open feeling.
                    The RCA's were nice too but its the Mullards that will stay in this amp.
                    Note: with the tube change the fulltone OCD is very nice for some OD over and above just cranking it wide open.

Comment

These are very cool little amps. I have one and love it. I had Mark at lavacable make me a custom cable so that I could do the bedroom trick with it. I have a custom back for it as well, and the cable is a a stereo cable that comes out the back and connects to the speaker. I can connect it to the headphone out and put the switch on headphone and then the internal speaker works off the headphone out...at a reduced volume. If I move the cable to the other jack and move the switch it is back to normal. The amp sounds great, and with my nova system can get pretty much any sound. A very versatile and inexpensive pair.

Comment

Working...
                      X