Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Fx Rack/pedal for 80s metal.

Hi,

Anyone got suggestions for vintage or new multi effects rack gear for a George Lynch/Ratt/Savatage sound? I am aware of the ADA-MP1, but it's out my price range right now. As is a JCM800. I have been looking at the following:

Roland GP-8
    Boss VF-1
    Vox Tonelab
    Digitech GSP 2101
    Quadreverb

Any thoughts - much appreciated.

Charvel 475 Deluxe - Lefty
    Hamer Explorer - Lefty
    Black Limba Superstrat - Lefty
    Digitech GSP-21 Legend
    Marshall 8080

The BOSS GT-10 or 8, any of the Line 6 POD stuff should get you close. Digitech's GSP 1101 would work as well.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Thanks. Will look into those. I've heard mixed things about POD - aesthetically, they don't really appeal to me. Bit too "nu-metal." Have you tried the Tonelab ST?
      Hamer Explorer - Lefty
      Digitech GSP-21 Legend
      Marshall 8080

Comment

POD XTL or X3L and a crate powerbloc is a good cheap rig.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelard View Post
          Thanks. Will look into those. I've heard mixed things about POD - aesthetically, they don't really appeal to me. Bit too "nu-metal." Have you tried the Tonelab ST?
          I have no experience with the Tonelab line at all.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

And Boss - there's a very cheap VF-1 going - worth pursuing?
            Hamer Explorer - Lefty
            Digitech GSP-21 Legend
            Marshall 8080

Comment

I'd check out the digitech rp1000 as well, not as much tweakability but a good unit. They just had a good price drop as well and I think is cheaper the gt or pod stuff.

Comment

The 1101 is ok, but can sound a bit synthetic (to me, anyway, compared to my MP1).

You can pick up an older GSP21 Legend dirt cheap and get decent 80s Metal tones from it with some tweaking.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've had some experience with the Tonelabs, and would highly recommend looking into them. IMHO, the best amp sim pedal system out there.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

isn't a MP-1 only $125.00 or so? Or have I been out of the loop too long!

Comment

The MP-1 is hard to come by and a quite expensive in the UK. If anyone would like to sell one, please do let me know.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about going for pedals for distortion and getting a decent rack for reverb/chorus/delay. Something by Lexicon perhaps.
                      Hamer Explorer - Lefty
                      Digitech GSP-21 Legend
                      Marshall 8080

Comment

An ART SGX 2000 is an all around older rack unit that's built like a tank.
                        Multiple sounds/effects including 80's rock/metal.
                        I have one and its my main rack piece, I like it alot.
                        Like the ADA unit it's probably gonna be expensive for UKer's.
                        But if you could get your hands on a good working SGX 2000 you would be pleased to say the least.

Anything else such as pedals/stomp boxes, locate a local store and try them out.
                        Remember, play through a setup at the store like you have at home.
                        Other wise, when you get the pedal/s home it will sound completely different.
                        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                          The BOSS GT-10 or 8, any of the Line 6 POD stuff should get you close. Digitech's GSP 1101 would work as well.
                          Yep, a GT8 or 10 with a used Marshall head + 4 cables method, so you can use the preamp in the Marshall and also the OD in the Boss GT.

Actually, that's my rig, GT8+DSL50... (go to my band's web site for recent videos).

I think the Line6 also has a built-in loop now, so you could also get similar result with a Pod X3.
                          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I've heard a lot about the ART units. Alas, the SGX seems hard to get. The ART Multiverb's do come up - have you any thoughts on these?

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                            But if you could get your hands on a good working SGX 2000 you would be pleased to say the least.

Anything else such as pedals/stomp boxes, locate a local store and try them out.
                            Hamer Explorer - Lefty
                            Digitech GSP-21 Legend
                            Marshall 8080

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post

I have one of those... haven't used it in years.

Comment

Working...
                              X