To 6505 or not to 6505???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To 6505 or not to 6505???

A few years ago, I used to own a 5150II but traded it for Marshall DSL50. At that time I wished I could have kept it and have both amps.

Anyway, back then I wanted a bit more of classic rock sound and the 5150II was, for me, too much a one trick pony.

Time passed and these days, I'd really love to have a more modern sounding amp. For your infos, I still really like my Marshall (won't let it go), it's just that I would like to have another tone weapon and now I can afford it!

Tried a few ENGL amps but they are too expensive and have some models have too many gizmos.

I've checked the used market lately but have seen nothing worth passing by.

Listening to some old clips I had made of the 5150II made me re-think about the Peavey. Those were sounding good!

They are not too expensive, USA made, built like a tank, reliable and have a good warranty. They also have not too many gizmos! I like an amp to be simple! No space age footswitch either! Just plug and play!

the ENGL E530 preamp could be also another option but I would have to order one without trying it out first. Checked some youtube videos of it but still wondering how it would sound plugged in the poweramp section of my DSL50.

What do you think? Comments/suggestions???
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Do it!! I have a 6505+ and I love it!!
    Fixed
    Last edited by metalone; 07-25-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalone View Post
      I have a 505+ and I love it!!
      A what now?

-a happy 5150 block letter owner
      Last edited by RacerX; 07-16-2010, 06:36 PM.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

So the 5150/6505 serie gets RacerX' seal of approval!
        Last edited by BenoA; 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
        JB aka BenoA

Comment

i have passed on them several times because they are too saturated and "flubby" for my taste. i could not get a tone that made me happy. but, having said that, i am not a real hi-gain player and i don't like 6L6 power tubes. i WANT to like it because i know several giys that get a nice sound from them, but it is too much for my needs.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            having said that, i am not a real hi-gain player and i don't like 6L6 power tubes. i WANT to like it... but it is too much for my needs.
            WTH are you posting in here then?

Comment

There seems to be a noticeable difference between the heads and combo's in tone. Bro in law has a 5150 combo (not block letter) that I play around with and it sounds great. When I was looking for a head, I tried a new 6505+ and matching 4x12 and wasn't very impressed. I switched back and forth between that and a 5150 combo that was in the same room (both as they were from the factory) and the combo was noticeably tighter, punchier, and had more gain. I d there are differences in years or anything so you may want to look into it a bit.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

From what I heard, there seems to be something special about 5150 combos, apparently everyone who has one likes it's tone more than the heads
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Ok, 6505/5150 owners, how is the FX loop on these? I used to own one and I don't remember as I was not using it at that time. But now, I want to loop my GT8 for FX only with it. Let me know.
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

Order placed tonite! I'll keep ya posted once I get it.
                    JB aka BenoA

Comment

I use vintage RCA preamp tubes and I did the bias mod on mine
                      It really cleans it up, no loose low end!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        WTH are you posting in here then?
                        hmmm, well, i was bored AND to get my post count up so i can get closer to your number
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

All righty then!

Comment

I plugged into a 6534+ recently and liked it better than the regular 6505. Check one out. (It replaces the 6L6s with EL34s if you didn't know)
                            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                              There seems to be a noticeable difference between the heads and combo's in tone. Bro in law has a 5150 combo (not block letter) that I play around with and it sounds great. When I was looking for a head, I tried a new 6505+ and matching 4x12 and wasn't very impressed. I switched back and forth between that and a 5150 combo that was in the same room (both as they were from the factory) and the combo was noticeably tighter, punchier, and had more gain. I d there are differences in years or anything so you may want to look into it a bit.
                              For some reason the matching 4x12 cab isnt a good match for the 6505+ head. Anything w/V30's or GT12's really bring a good tone out of the head, its like they spent all of their time on the head and just threw a cab together w/whatever they had lying around.

Comment

Working...
                              X