No announcement yet.

Tube amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info, thank you. With todays work schedule I wouldn't have made it to any of the cool shops in Austin, so I went ahead and got a pair from GC. GT 7's, same as what's in the amp now, for $49. Which I didn't think was too bad.

I suppose I can try some others in the future, but I had to have them today...lol. the local Craigslist didnt yield anything but quad and ridiculously expensive supposedly nos mullards.

Thanks all, again.

Comment

Yep, getter is burned up. The tube has lost it's vacuum. Unfortunatly I have a quad of GE 6550's from GT and one tube took a shit after a few hours of play. I need to find another tube with the same GT ratings to make my set complete again.

Joe,

While it's possible to pull a tube from half of a 50 watt push/pull amp, it was never meant to run that way. A 100 watt amp is a doubled up 50 watt with an extra pair of helper tubes. You can pull those helper tubes to take it back down to 50, but you always need a tube on either side for the push pull amp to work as designed.

Comment

Well, the tubes sound great...just loving it. I appreciate the info; I never knew that about the getters.

Comment

Working...
        X