I Need Suggestions for a Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Suggestions for a Combo

Is there a good sounding relatively light 1 x 12 that you can gig with ? Or do you need a 2 x 12 minimum ?

Maybe I would be better of getting lighter set of 2 x 12 speakers. I have Bag Ends and they are 2 x 12. Each one weighs 80 friggen pounds.

Each of my 100 Watt heads (Framus, Marshall) are about 40 or 45 pounds.

Wondering if maybe a combo set up would be easier/lighter. I got foot pedals I can use for gain so I just need a good clean amp. Don't want to spend more than say $500 at most for something used.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Combos of similar power tend to be heavier then just the heads due to the speaker weight and slightly larger cabinet. If it's a smaller gig could you get by with a small open back 1x12? That would cut some weight out. I prefer a 1x12 combo but it's bigger and heavier then my head. For a small grab and go amp I have a blackstar ht-5 which is a 5 watt 1x10 and is super light but probably not a good gig choice.

Comment

If you got an amp stand (you know the combo stands that aim the cabinet up towards you ears.) you would not have any problem playing gigs with a 1x12 combo.

Check out the Marshall Haze 40 combo. I could gig with that and an overdrive pedal.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I use two Carvin SX300 2x12 combos... 100 watt SS amp that weighs 50lbs.
        I bypass the front end and plug straight into the FX Return with my GT-8.
        Killer amp, very reliable too.
        They're on sale for $329 with $29 shipping.
        I got mine from their eBay store for $299 each... demo units.
        -Rick

Comment

Mark V combo will amputate your legs below the knees. :dunno:

Actually if you want something really portable I'd go for a head and a 1x12" sealed/ported cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            Mark V combo will amputate your legs below the knees. :dunno:

Actually if you want something really portable I'd go for a head and a 1x12" sealed/ported cabinet.
            I concur.
            Especially if you want to get the speaker "out there" but still want the controls closer to you.
            A good 1x12 will stay with you and the amp is interchangeable.

Comment

I have looked into getting a 1x12" Mesa ported cabinet and a head shell. I will probably do that sometime in the next 6 months or so (convert from combo to head/ported 1x12") because the combo weighs easy 75 lbs and it's awkward/bulky.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                because the combo weighs easy 75 lbs and it's awkward/bulky.
                EXACTLY! Any all-tube combo is going to be crazy heavy and the loss of low-end is not worth it! (unless you're ok with a Peavey XXX 40watt combo or a Valveking 1x12) The tubes rattle inside at higher volumes, microphonic tubes' problems are accentuated, etc.

My suggestion, get a head and a mesa Thiele cab. To be honest, I've not heard it in person but the reviews I've read about it are really good and I was, at one time trying to build one myself. Its a closed back ported cab and is supposed to put some 4x12's to shame with the low-end it offers. There is a company called boogiefunk that offers a similar design for lot cheaper.

Besides, an amp head in one hand and a 1x12 in another hand would be much easier to transport than a single back-breaking 1x12 IMO.
                Sam

Comment

Yeah so far I know I will be going with a 1 x 12. I forgot about the open back thing - especially for what I play I won't get enough cut and response.

So I am looking at Bogner Cube or Mesa Thiele cabs.

I am actually going to try my Crate Powerblock with the cab and my pedalboard.

If the powerblock won't cut it then I will use one of my 100W heads.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

My vote also goes to the head + 1x12 cab. Tube combos are just too heavy. Remember to check the wattage rating of the speaker.
                    Scott

Comment

And the cabs are boogafunk cabs and not boogiefunk.
                      Sam

Comment

combo? how bout big roast beef and curly fries?
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Rivera has a nice thiele closed back cab as well. Put a eminence swamp thang in there and it will handle 150 watts and have massive low end.

Comment

i just got a pair of the rivera thiele cabs. i loaded them with EVM speakers (to match my other rivera 1X12 cabs) and they are pretty nice. the rivera is bigger than the boogie cabs. i used the boogie 1x12 thiele cab with my MKIV. the rivera cab is better - harder to find but better.

oh, and 1x12 tube combo isn't as delicate as emperor black makes them out to be. i used my rivera M100 combo for YEARS onstage when we played smaller stages. truthfully, the loss of bass on a good stage is minimal. if you have good monitors and side fills you will NEVER know the difference.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post

oh, and 1x12 tube combo isn't as delicate as emperor black makes them out to be. i used my rivera M100 combo for YEARS onstage when we played smaller stages. truthfully, the loss of bass on a good stage is minimal. if you have good monitors and side fills you will NEVER know the difference.
                              I dont know as much about them as you do I must confess, but when I had the Peavey XXX combo and the valveking combo, due to microphonic preamp tubes in both, they would squeal like a mofo. With a head, if there is a microphonic tube, you just put it at the 4x12's side or on the floor, problem solved. You can't do that with a combo. Same when I had a Carvin tube power amp. microphonic tube in the middle of rehearsal...just put it on the floor and no problems!
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X