Digidesign Eleven rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by javert View Post
    Because many previous amp modelers were praised when they first came out. Maybe they were indeed much better than the previous ones at the time but still not quite up to snuff long term. But you're right. I'm basically talking based on my knowledge of prior amp modelers, so I'm basically also assuming that it is still possible to improve on the Axe FX, which may or may not be the case. Don't get me wrong, I like the modelers and I'm certain they'll playing a larger and larger role in music as the technology improves.
    I understood your point. But if those older modelers were good enough when they were purchased they should still be good, right? If it sounds bad now, it sounded bad then.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Hippetiem, I see your point too. I think part of my scepticism is that while we may think something is good at first, it may not last. Also, part of the reason we like the modelers is for other reasons than the sound, like the flexibility, size, etc. And we may not hear details at first that we pick up after a long time of exposure. This is a well-known phenomenon in evaluation of audio coders, for example, where even naive listeners will tend to pick up details after a long time. This is the reason that expert listeners are always used in evaluating new codecs. Anyways, I can certainly say that I've experienced this myself with modelers. At first, I liked some modelers but after a while, I couldn't stand them. I would like to try an Axe FX, though, but maybe that's just the tech nerd talking

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
        I would like to try an Axe FX, though,
        That's it, right there! Try it first! Then, come back to this thread and you'll realize how far off you were, comparing other modellers to the AXE.
        Sam

Comment

Hehe, not many units around here to try!

Comment

The OP stated "I have no desire for an AxeFx right now as that's just way over my head."

Why did this turn into another "swing from the nuts of Fractal" thread? Good god...it's like a frickin' cult. Get back to the topic. The Snax is not what was being asked about. If you haven't played the 11R, your feedback is of minimal value to the OP.

Cripes!! This is as bad as HC & RT.

Comment

I'm tell ya! What happened? All I wanted was some feedback on an 11R! HA HA! The main reasons I even mentioned the AxeFx is because I definately know I don't want that unit because of 1. the price, 2. alot more options than I need, and 3. I'm only going to be using this unit to practice at home and maybe do some recording and 4. I've tried one and know that it isn't for me. The only reason I tried to get the point across that I didn't want an AxeFx was so this woudn't turn into an AxeFx thread..... Guess I was wrong.

I'm interested in the 11R and feedback on that unit. I'm not looking to replace my current amplifiers. I'm a "turn a few knobs" type of guy.

Thanks for the previous info you gave me Chris.

Comment

hey! I paid over 2K for that box! I need to vent somewhere, somehow! Sorry!
                Sam

Comment

I owned the 11R for a short period of time. I was using it in my rack setup with a Mesa 2:90 into Avatar 212 cabs. I found that I liked the sound of the 11R better when going direct into the board and using the cab modeling. Not that it sounded bad through the rack, I just liked having the options. The 11R actually does cab modeling much better than Line6 IMO...I could never really hear a difference in Line6 units. For instance, if you dime out a Plexi on the 11R, add some delay and phaser, you can get a pretty damn good EVH brown sound when you run it through the Greenback loaded 412 cab model...however, if you switch to a V30 loaded 412, it sounds WAY different. I never got that with Line6.

Overall, I liked the Plexi, Soldano and Mesa Mark III models the best.

I thought it was a great sounding, VERY easy to use unit.

I would have loved to have kept it for home studio use, but it ended up being a keep-only-one-amp situation, so the Rivera won by a landslide!

Comment

An on-topic thread on JCF?? Surely not

Comment

One of the things mentioned of the 11R - not as many options. That is one of the things I like about the 11R. I can tweak it quickly, and find a good tone right away. Too many options = too much time fiddling. Not enough playing.

Comment

I'm nterested in both really. I'm a tube dude so I'd just want to use them for effects in my amps and and for late night direct recording.

When you are in digital realm its much easier to upgrade. As long as the processor and electronics in the 11 or or AxeFx are good you can upgrade the firmware/software easily. Things from a development standpiont can be improved upon based on customer feedback, a patch released and bam...everyone is up to date. If they improve a design on an amp, you need a soldering iron, some components or new motherboard if not PTP.

Chris hit the nail on the head in his earlier post that if anything gives you the the sound you are looking for that is good enough an that is how you make you selection So the FX hasa bunch more amp modesl, some effects than the 11 but if your not using them what good are they to you?
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn - if you just want effects I would not get the 11R personally. There are better effects units than the 11R. I would get a Line 6 M13 instead - the effects are kick ass and it has a great pedalboard layout. The cool thing about the M13 is you can hook it up with 4-cables so you can have overdrives and phasers/vibes in front of the amp and delay/reverb/chorus in the loop.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            Shawn - if you just want effects I would not get the 11R personally. There are better effects units than the 11R. I would get a Line 6 M13 instead - the effects are kick ass and it has a great pedalboard layout. The cool thing about the M13 is you can hook it up with 4-cables so you can have overdrives and phasers/vibes in front of the amp and delay/reverb/chorus in the loop.
                            I'd agree with this.

Comment

Working...
                            X