TC ELectronics G system owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC ELectronics G system owners

Interested in opinions on this unit, and have a few questions. I'm not a big rack guy, mainly just intimidated with all the MIDI programming and like the simplicity of one FB to deal with. This unit also features channel switching(2 relay outs vs. 1 on G major). Has 4 pedal loops, which at the moment are not needed, but could easily see that being utilitized in the future. So looking at it, it seems it could replace a G major, an audio looper, and a ground controller. Is this a decent assumption or not quite the right way of thinking?
    Are the effects pretty decent?
    How would they compare to say a G major? (I dont own one, but I'm considering it)
    Are they pretty easy to setup, and program?
    Obviously a G major would be cheaper, but I'm wondering if spending a little more now and getting all those features in 1 FB would make more sense for me.

its expensive. thats what I know about it.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

They are expensive, but it there seems to be some decent deals on used ones.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
        So looking at it, it seems it could replace a G major, an audio looper, and a ground controller. Is this a decent assumption or not quite the right way of thinking?
        I believe this is a decent assumption...the G System does everything the G Major does and more, plus the foot controller is very easy to use and, like you said, can replace any current ground controller.

Are the effects pretty decent? How would they compare to say a G major? (I dont own one, but I'm considering it).
        The effects are more than decent...they're pretty damn good. They are better than the G Major. I used to use a G Major in my rack setup and now I own the smaller Nova System which is based completely off of the G System. The Nova unit is fantastic. I very quickly became a big fan of TC gear and my old singer used all of the TC Helicon vocal effects.

Are they pretty easy to setup, and program?
        Depends on how good you are with dialing in settings! I won't lie, I'm not the greatest at it and some of the control parameters are almost endless, so I wouldn't say it's easy for me, but I get by. Once you get the hang of midi programming, that part's not difficult.

All in all, I would definitely recommend TC products as a user myself. I bought the Nova System back when it first came out. They had chip problems with the first few batches and I had one of them. Needless to say, the first gig I used it at didn't go so well...about 3 measures into the 2nd song of our 1st set...dead. Reboot. Dead. Reboot. Dead. The guitarist from the other band we were playing with ran up and grabbed my analog board and got me back up and running pretty quickly. I was very pissed off at that time...BUT, I was so impressed with the sound quality of the effects of the Nova System that I waited until they had all the bugs worked out and I recently bought another Nova System. Works flawlessly.

I have not heard much about G Systems having similar problems, so I wouldn't be too concerned buying on the used market. But, if you're skeptical, try the Nova System first and upgrade at a later date. I got a brand new a-stock Nova from an authorized dealer on ebay for $365.

Comment

If the programming relatively intuitive I can handle that. I just hate reading phone sized manuals just to make it work. I've owned all a few different multiFX boards, and a Vetta, etc. that I could handle just fine. I just get really bored with, then frustrated with really in depth nonsensical crap. I just want tweak it a little, find some sounds and set in a patch and actually play the damn guitar. Not to be overly simple about it, but you guys know what I'm saying.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean...I'm the same way. I don't want to spend more time programming than I do playing. Having owned a Vetta II at one point, I guess I would say it's similar to that. A couple buttons, a couple scrolls and you're off and running on the Nova...I'm pretty sure it's the same on the G System.

Most of the presets on the Nova are usable with some minor adjustments...I found when I got the G Major, virtually none of the presets were usable...they seemed to be all 'novelty' sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
              I know exactly what you mean...I'm the same way. I don't want to spend more time programming than I do playing. Having owned a Vetta II at one point, I guess I would say it's similar to that. A couple buttons, a couple scrolls and you're off and running on the Nova...I'm pretty sure it's the same on the G System.

Most of the presets on the Nova are usable with some minor adjustments...I found when I got the G Major, virtually none of the presets were usable...they seemed to be all 'novelty' sounds.
              Do you run a footcontroller with your G major? Which one, and how difficult is it to do the MIDI programming?
              My other thought was a G major and a FB1010, which seems like a pretty popular combo these days.

Comment

I don't run the G Major anymore, but when I did, I used the Rocktron Midi-Mate to control both the G Major and ADA MP-1. The MIDI was super easy to program.

Comment

Maybe that is the way I should go(MIDI based setup). Thanks for your help.

Comment

No problem. Good luck and lemme know if you have any other questions. What other gear are you/will you be running?

Comment

I had a G System for a while. The sounds are faultless, but there were for me a couple of other issues. Firstly, it's huge! And you still need at least one expression pedal, maybe 2. There are no distortion effects, so you have to have those. Add your amp controller and your pedal board becomes enormous. Impossible for small gigs. Plus, I actually got laughed at on a couple of occasions by audience members because it lights up like a Christmas tree all over the floor. Admittedly, I was playing in pubs mainly, but it really is overkill for most situations. I have a Nova System now, and it is much more managable.
                      http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Comment

I've not owned one, but I have tried it. I found it frustrating to edit using the controller. I've used a TC Fireworx, which I'm told is pretty similar to a G-Force, and it was much easier than the G-System. Having said that, all the Boss MFX I've owned is far easier than that.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                          No problem. Good luck and lemme know if you have any other questions. What other gear are you/will you be running?
                          Right now, I just want to control an FX unit and switch channels on a Mark IV.

Wilkinsi, I was also considering trying a GT-8, or-10, but the amp controller feature on those units wouldn't work for my Mesa.
                          Not a huge deal, as I'm not playing out currently, but would like to again in the near future, when my time gets free'd up alittle.

Comment

Working...
                          X