So what's so good about Mesa cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's so good about Mesa cabs?

I always hears how great Mesa cabs are. Never played one, probably never will because I can't justify spending the money on one. So I'm just wondering... What is so special about them? The speakers? Design of the cab? Just the Mojo?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Quality of the wood (birch ply), construction and Mesa sets spec for the speakers.

Comment

the quality cygnus mentioned is noticeable. i have a vertical 2x12 recto cab with V30's and it sounds amazing. the resonance is quite remarkable, as is the clarity. it was worth the money, especially since i gig regularly. if i was a sit at home guy, i prolly wouldn't have bought it - although, my mark IV fit really nicely on top
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I picked up my OS 4x12 for $500 so the price isn't really that bad

Comment

They are built extremely well. they sound great. just very high quality workmanship, materials, and sound. they just build a damn good product. yes, its pricey, but you get what you pay for. there are alot of cheaply built cabs on the market, and remember, you get what you pay for.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I had one with V30's. I found it to be very direction focused - if I was off to the side, I couldn't hear it well, or lost all of the dynamics. Very bass heavy, and I don't like that either. That's what basses are for. I like guitar tones that rip you up, not pummel you into submission.

I also found out that I really don't like V30's in a closed cab, although they're decent in a open back combo. This cab and my Orange 212 made me come to the realization that Marshalls with 75's are what works for my ears.
            Last edited by chrisolson; 08-12-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

chris, you are very right about the directional nature of the cab. i know a lot of metal guys like that, along with the tighter bass response, but i HATED it. i took the back off and replaced it with a custom made half back. now that cab is the shit!!! well, i still like my rivera 1x12 cabs better - i have never heard anything that sounds better, but the mesa 2x12 combined with the rivera 1x12's makes for a killer tone.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Hey Warlock, another cab you should consider is a Splawn. VERY high quality cabs at a decent price. I have one with my Splawn quick rod. the cool thing about splawn cabs are, you get to pick ALL the options when you order, most at NO extra cost, unless you get into custom finishes. but you can pick your speakers, your cab design, baffle, speak positions, and cosmetics like vinyl and grill cloth colors. check out their website.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I ask mainly out of curiousity because I hear so many good things about them. As with all things I get, I don't like to spend mass cash because I can't leave anything alone. And I don't play in a band or gig so it's hard to justify spending lots. I'm that guy who has enough power to blow out windows but plays in a small room in the house. My old Carvin G412's seem so well built (and heavy) that I could throw them out a second story window and not get damaged. The straight has old Eminence legends and I use it for bluesy and classic rock stuff. The slant has newer G12T-100's and is amazing for harder tight metal stuff. It's really bassy (the way I like it) and less mid pronounced which takes some of the overpowering mids out of my Ultra Plus head and is just more.... metal for lack of a better word. As much as we all mod our guitars, I was wondering if you guys buy higher end (and price) cabs and change speakers to what you like? Or do you normally leave them alone (or sell) and look for a factory one you like better? Or buy lower priced, well built cabs and put in what speakers you like? Like I said, just out of curiousity.
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                    ... Or buy lower priced, well built cabs and put in what speakers you like? Like I said, just out of curiousity.
                    I've done that ... and ended up with a higher price than a Marshall cab (used) would have been ! G12T75's aren't cheap over here (Austria);
                    so I bought used Marshall 1960 Cabs - quoting chrisolson: Marshalls with 75's are what works for my ears
                    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                      I had one with V30's. I found it to be very direction focused - if I was off to the side, I couldn't hear it well, or lost all of the dynamics.
                      My Marshall 1936 is the same. Still love the way it sounds though.

Comment

Mark / Chris,

When you say bass heavy, I'm thinking Metallica's AJFA. Is that what you guys are hearing?

I have a 1960 with the 75s. No complaints once they broke in and loosened up.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Mark / Chris,

When you say bass heavy, I'm thinking Metallica's AJFA. Is that what you guys are hearing?

I have a 1960 with the 75s. No complaints once they broke in and loosened up.

yeah, to my ears the cab was a little "woofy" - i don't scoop my mids, so that translated to being VERY boxy. once i out a half back on the cab it opened the sound up tremendously.

As much as we all mod our guitars, I was wondering if you guys buy higher end (and price) cabs and change speakers to what you like? Or do you normally leave them alone (or sell) and look for a factory one you like better? Or buy lower priced, well built cabs and put in what speakers you like? Like I said, just out of curiousity.
                          i have modded cabs - obviously i changed the back on my mesa. i DO change speakers, too. i usually remove whatever is in the cab and install EVM12L speakers. but, for the mesa i kept the V30's because i liked how they blended with the EVM12L loaded cabs. i have a rivera 2x10 cab that did have EVM10 speakers, but i took those out and replaced them with carvin vintage 10's. it sounds MUCH better with my vintage fender tremolux that way.
                          GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

they are typically well built cabs and use good speakers (at least the V30's and C90's). They also have a variety of cabs to choose from, 4x12's, oversized 4x12's. 3/4 back 1 and 2x12's etc. I have a Mesa widebody 3QB 1x12 with a C90, great ext cab about the size of a 2x12, the added size plus 3/4 back closed makes for a large sound from a small box
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have different cabs for different sounds. One is a Mesa Recto 4x12 (standard size). I bought it several years back new but it was a floor model so I got a break on the price. I've also picked up used cabs such as my Bogner 4x12 empty but with a road case. That one got loaded with Celestion 25w British Greenbacks. Again, the price was right. My point being that yes, sometimes I modify them but more importantly if you look for floor models or go used you can get high end cabs for good prices. And yes these cabs are well built and sound great!
                              For my Marshall head I use Marshall cabs with the 75w Celestions in them. These are a cleaner sounding speaker to me. All depends what sound you're after and what head you pair it up with.
                              Oh, whether you're in a band or just playing at home makes no difference. You still want it to sound good regardless, right? At least I do
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X