No announcement yet.

So what's so good about Mesa cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Mesa the only one who has production oversize cabs? Not custom built or even like splawn where it's made to your specs, just normal production that would be less expensive. I ask this because I used to design and build sub boxes for cars/trucks and it's basically the same engineering so I kinda have an idea on what helps what sound. As there are so many different tastes (as in liking it bassy, boomy, tight, or more middy, etc..) it would seem that having different size and styles (open/closed back, etc.) would be beneficial to any company making cabs. I suppose that's why customs are in such demand but just like everything else, they're so damned expensive for the player like me who wants great sound but doesn't want to pay out the ass for it.

And this is just for conversation BTW - I'm happy with the cabs I have right now.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Engl makes oversized cabs too.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        Mark / Chris,

When you say bass heavy, I'm thinking Metallica's AJFA. Is that what you guys are hearing?

I have a 1960 with the 75s. No complaints once they broke in and loosened up.
        By "bass heavy", I'm talking about a resonant "woof" or "whoomp". I liken what I want to hear to a "snarl" or "crack" or "rip". AJFA is what I stay away from - if you recall, the bass on that album was non-existent. Again, the bassist has a job in the mix. Guitars don't cut right to me if it's all about trying to meet a BROAD spectrum of sound.

Early Van Halen or Ratt's "Invasion of Your Privacy" is what I go for. I don't care for low-end heavy tunes, which seems to be what everything is about now - I guess that kinda makes me a relic.

I've always liked the Mk-Series Mesa cabs though - the ones with the half back. Still though, I don't like the mid-range spike V30's offer. I'd rather let my amp take care of it than my speaker - that way I can dial it up or back if need be.

Comment

Chris - That actually kinda brings me to another thought. When I play through my POD 2.0, It may "emulate" a cab but the sound seems like what I think the head would sound like without being colored by a certain cab. I like messing around with the POD through my Event 20/20bas monitors (very flat response) as it seems to give me the "real" (if you want to call it that) sound of a certain amp. I kinda get the feeling of the difference between a Marshall, Mesa, Fender, etc.. amps from playing with and really listening to the differences in the POD tones that simulate the different amps.
          As far as me liking the G12T-100's, I really... really... really believe that the whole mix of gear is what's gonna make and tweak the tone I want. Like I said, my Ultra Plus is pretty mid heavy and the Carvin cab with the G12T-100's being a tad scooped tames the mids enough to where I can EQ it where I want it. Plenty of bass and deep mids and sparkly highs but not extremely mid to upper mid heavy. Has a great bite while keeping the chest pounding chug I love and still cuts through a mix. Even if the mix is only my stereo ridiculously loud playing backing tracks...

Keep the opinions and info coming, this is the most interesting thread I've heard in quite a while!!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
            I ask mainly out of curiousity because I hear so many good things about them. As with all things I get, I don't like to spend mass cash because I can't leave anything alone. And I don't play in a band or gig so it's hard to justify spending lots. I'm that guy who has enough power to blow out windows but plays in a small room in the house. My old Carvin G412's seem so well built (and heavy) that I could throw them out a second story window and not get damaged. The straight has old Eminence legends and I use it for bluesy and classic rock stuff. The slant has newer G12T-100's and is amazing for harder tight metal stuff. It's really bassy (the way I like it) and less mid pronounced which takes some of the overpowering mids out of my Ultra Plus head and is just more.... metal for lack of a better word. As much as we all mod our guitars, I was wondering if you guys buy higher end (and price) cabs and change speakers to what you like? Or do you normally leave them alone (or sell) and look for a factory one you like better? Or buy lower priced, well built cabs and put in what speakers you like? Like I said, just out of curiousity.
            Those Carvin cabs are built with 11-ply birch just as the Mesa cabs are. I have an old X-series 412 that is basically a copy of the Mesa cabs that were built during the time the Mk. IIC was in production. Wide expanded metal grate, weigh about 103 lbs with Celestion 75s or the stock Carvins of that day in them - which sound pretty similar to each other. The Mesas are larger dimensions, I think, but otherwise similarly constructed.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i had one of those old carvin monster 4x12 cabs a long time ago. excellent cab. just too heavy to move, hahaha!!
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

That's the one. Yup, weighs a ton!! I got it with an old Stramp head that I gave away cause it was noisy and at that time I didn't know anything about tubes. Wish I had it back to see what it could do in better shape. I have the slant and found the matching straight cab but someone took the grate off and put speaker grill material on it. Gonna get a grate for it and find a logo plate. These are definitely keepers.

Comment

sounds like you dont need a mesa. i had a few and theyre great, but i actually preferred my randal xl cab which was smaller, but tighter. i like the avatar contemporary 412. those are great, you can get em loaded with whatever speakers they offer or unloaded. close enough for my ears, but then i'm no signed or even semi famous musician. lol

Comment

I had a half-open Boogie 4x12 years ago that I was never very impressed with. Well-made, I'm sure, but it just didn't have that sound. My favorite cabs are Marshalls with greenbacks, although I once owned a mint JCM800 cab with 75s that sounded great.

Comment

Working...
                    X