No announcement yet.

Is this a good trade - Vetta for Mark V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just traded my Vetta head, floorboard, Mesa halfback and cash for the Mesa Mark V combo, footswitch and RJM mini amp gizmo. I got the Vetta and longboard really cheap as did the halfback. I actually have 2 more halfbacks (I know...). The amp is really cool, in a different way from my Dual Recto and my JVM. I never knew that something so small could be so heavy. The amp gizmo gives me midi compatibility and works with the Recto also. It's off to build a headshell for it and cut down at least 15 pounds?

I'd post pictures, but my wife took the camera. Maybe later...

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
      Last Vetta II HD and Longboard went for about $700 on the bay. Don't know what you'd get for your Boogie cab, but with used Mark Vs going at around $1700 as stated above, you've got all the math to make your decision.

Personally, having done the Line 6 thing in the past (Vetta II), I'd definitely go with the Mark V, no matter how I had to go about getting it done.
      Mine was an upgraded Vetta I with no Variax. I could have bayed it, but who wants to ship amps - after shipping a couple of Randall RM100's, I swore never to do it again. Plus I always get burnt on shipping costs and PP fees. The whole transaction cost me about $1500 plus getting stuck in NYC traffic. I'm happy for the moment - plus the Mark V should be easier to turn around - but did I mention that this little amp is heavy????

Comment

Too late John - Gas got the best of me. I'm actually trying to get the total number of guitars/amps/cabinets that I have to be counted on 10 fingers. I have a bit to go, but I am getting there - I promised my wife that as long as I finance my GAS with the proceeds of my own gear sale, she lets me do whatever I want.

Comment

that was a good deal IMO. the markV is the holy grail.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
            I promised my wife that as long as I finance my GAS with the proceeds of my own gear sale, she lets me do whatever I want.
            That's exactly the deal I have!

Congrats on the Mark V! I think you got the better of the deal.

Comment

Its a great amp but I will be surprised if Pete likes it. I think I know his taste in amps by now.

Comment

That's exactly the deal I have!

Me too! HA HA!

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                  I just traded my Vetta head, floorboard, Mesa halfback and cash for the Mesa Mark V combo, footswitch and RJM mini amp gizmo. I got the Vetta and longboard really cheap as did the halfback. I actually have 2 more halfbacks (I know...). The amp is really cool, in a different way from my Dual Recto and my JVM. I never knew that something so small could be so heavy. The amp gizmo gives me midi compatibility and works with the Recto also. It's off to build a headshell for it and cut down at least 15 pounds?

I'd post pictures, but my wife took the camera. Maybe later...
                  COngrats! Good for you!!! the best part is, you got rid of that sonic farting machine vetta. You would have been better off running a snowmobile with water in the gas and no muffler than that vetta. you made a great trade pal!!! you will love that mark!!!!
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I actually like the Vetta alot - I had 4 of them and keep coming back to them. They can be had easily at a great price, but I wanted to try a Mark V without laying out too much cash. btw, the mini amp gizmo works with both the Mark V as well as Dual/Triple recs.

Comment

Well, to each his own, but I cannot find one good thing about the Vetta. A buddy of mine had one once. me and another buddy went over to check it out one day. man, we were both so unimpressed. It was difficult to sit there and not diss the thing. I didnt say anything bad, but man, it was an awkward situation because I couldnt really find anything good to say about it. it sounded so artificial to us both. I just cant get into any modeling amp. to me, they all suck. I just cant get that real tone and feel out of those things. its the same as using a keyboard vs a piano or a real synthesizer, it just aint there. the only "good" thing about those modelers is, they depreciate like mad, so kids can afford them used and have something wiht all those toys in them. its good for them to get all that effect shit out of their system early and cheaply. then they can focus on a real amp when they get older and have more money. I would rather have any tube amp than a vetta.

spend some time with that Mark5. Mesa marks are pretty complex control amps, lots of options, and you can get alot out of them, you just need to be patient and keep looking for YOUR tone in them, its in there, trust me you will find it. once you do, its all over. no more vettas then.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Good choice! I have a Vetta II and like it, but would have made that trade in a hearbeat!

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                          Well, to each his own, but I cannot find one good thing about the Vetta. A buddy of mine had one once. me and another buddy went over to check it out one day. man, we were both so unimpressed. It was difficult to sit there and not diss the thing. I didnt say anything bad, but man, it was an awkward situation because I couldnt really find anything good to say about it. it sounded so artificial to us both. I just cant get into any modeling amp. to me, they all suck. I just cant get that real tone and feel out of those things. its the same as using a keyboard vs a piano or a real synthesizer, it just aint there. the only "good" thing about those modelers is, they depreciate like mad, so kids can afford them used and have something wiht all those toys in them. its good for them to get all that effect shit out of their system early and cheaply. then they can focus on a real amp when they get older and have more money. I would rather have any tube amp than a vetta.

spend some time with that Mark5. Mesa marks are pretty complex control amps, lots of options, and you can get alot out of them, you just need to be patient and keep looking for YOUR tone in them, its in there, trust me you will find it. once you do, its all over. no more vettas then.
                          You have been on this forum for a while and have always posted good reviews and comments for the most part.. until this one.
                          Do you know how many amps Pete has owned or currently owns? I will say he has owned or owns just about every high end amp on the planet. Bogners, vintage Marshalls, Engl, VHT, Soldano, Mesa etc... along with just about every high end modeling amp on the planet.
                          The only amps I think he hasn't owned are Matchless and Cornford.
                          Statements like "I would rather have any tube amp than a Vetta" and keep searching until you find "your" tone are your opinions and your opinions only. Pete does mainly cover band work and he needs several tones that are NOT his. When you do cover work the idea is to get as close as you can to the tone of the guitar you are copying.
                          I don't recall you posting statements like farting and all the other bashing regarding modeling amps over at the Axe Fx "worship" thread where JCF members are popping boners and selling anything they have with tubes in it because this modeling technology is so incredible. I posted a few comments regarding tube amps vs modeling amps live and I just about got hung drawn and quartered over on that thread. You see.. I love modeling amps but I just don't think they can compete with a high wattage high gain tube amp in a live setting. Still, I have a Line 6 combo home for my personal practice, I have an X3 that we use for layering when we record and I also just picked up another Boss GT-8 which I think is great that I am going to use for local band rehearsal direct into the board. I am also using it for some local jam nights.
                          I guess what I am trying to say is that Pete is probably the most savvy amp guy on the JCF. He talks the talk and walks the walk. He has had the best amps on the planet and still owns many of them. If he says the Vetta is good.. believe me.. its good. I owned 4 of them too. They are not just good.. they are great. You just need to know how to dial them in. Once you figure out the programming.. you can really get great tones out of it. Its the same with any high end modeling amp. Heck.. I can make my Boss GT-8 fool just about anybody into thinking its a real tube amp. I can deep edit and program that thing in my sleep. There are features on it that 95% of the owners don't even know about. The Vetta is the same way. If you plug in and play.. its sounds digital, even sterile. Once you get that sucker up on the PC with their fantastic editing program you can turn it into an incredible tone machine.

Comment

Hey John, do you still happen to have any of your Vetta patches? I remember you sent em to me a while ago, but my old computer crashed around that time and I never got to try em out. Ive been leaning towards getting rid of mine, as Im tired of getting drowned out by the rythem guitarists Dual Rec live and in practice. Figured Id give it one last ditch effort before getting rid of it. I REALLY like the versatility of it, and ease of setup live, but I dunno, lately Ive been thinking of going to a tube amp and a rack setup.
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              There are features on it that 95% of the owners don't even know about. The Vetta is the same way. If you plug in and play.. its sounds digital, even sterile. Once you get that sucker up on the PC with their fantastic editing program you can turn it into an incredible tone machine.
                              This is the problem right here. If you don't know anything about the editing, the modeling amps can sound very bad. I owned a Vetta II and never could get it to sound like I wanted it to. It's apparent that good tones can be had from modeling amps though...just listen to recordings out there of people using them...like Richard James...his tone was killer on his new cd.

I recently had an 11R and thought it was much better...reacted a little more like a tube amp and the cabinet modeling is above and beyond that of the Line6 gear IMO. That being said, it still had that 'digital' sound to it. I would have kept the 11R because it sounded good and was super easy to use, but I had to go to a 1-amp only situation after losing my job, so my Rivera stayed and the 11R went.

IMO, you still cannot compare the two (tube vs modeling) tone-wise...they each have their own characteristics...but for the most part, modeling amps don't "suck," you just need to know how to use them. Furthermore, I've played numerous tube amps that sounded like absolute shit. But if I was forced to make the choice between a good tube amp or a good modeling amp, I'd go tube every time.

Comment

This is the problem right here. If you don't know anything about the editing, the modeling amps can sound very bad. I owned a Vetta II and never could get it to sound like I wanted it to. It's apparent that good tones can be had from modeling amps though...just listen to recordings out there of people using them...like Richard James...his tone was killer on his new cd.

I recently had an 11R and thought it was much better...reacted a little more like a tube amp and the cabinet modeling is above and beyond that of the Line6 gear IMO. That being said, it still had that 'digital' sound to it. I would have kept the 11R because it sounded good and was super easy to use, but I had to go to a 1-amp only situation after losing my job, so my Rivera stayed and the 11R went.

IMO, you still cannot compare the two (tube vs modeling) tone-wise...they each have their own characteristics...but for the most part, modeling amps don't "suck," you just need to know how to use them. Furthermore, I've played numerous tube amps that sounded like absolute shit. But if I was forced to make the choice between a good tube amp or a good modeling amp, I'd go tube every time.
                                well said.

Comment

Working...
                                X