Solid State Power Amp w/ Tube Preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Power Amp w/ Tube Preamp?

We all know tubes shape tone differently, but how does a tube preamp, such as a Marshall JMP-1 or an ADA MP-1 sound when sent through a solid state power section?

I've very clearly realized that the best tone I've ever had has been when I am using rack gear, so I'm going back to it. Money is somewhat an issue, so I was possibly considering a solid state power section. But the thought of it scares the shit outta me!!!

Anyone out there use this before and what are your thoughts/opinions?

I may still go with tube power after all is said and done, but I want to weigh all of my options. I know I can't afford to go back to Mesa right now, but I've seen great reviews on the old Peaveys and Carvins and may try one of those out.

I run a ADA MP-1 with a Rocktron Velocity 300 and prefer it to when I had a Mesa 2:90, that thing was a piece of crap compared to the Velocity IMHO, which sounds insane, but I'm much happier without it.

Now I just have to wait for my Peavey Rockmaster Preamp to come in, and all will be well in the world
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

I ran an MP-1 through a Lee Jackson solid state amp for years and was quite happy with it. For the last 8 years or so I've been running the opposite-a solid state preamp (Sansamp PSA-1) through a tube power amp (either Mesa 2:90 or VHT 2:50:2) & prefer this rig big time over the MP-1/Lee Jackson. Those MP-1s also worked well with the old Mosvalve solid state power amps. The Peavey & Carvin you mentioned are also good low price choices.

Comment

The first generation of the Marshall valvestate amps are well liked. I loved mine and am waiting for a old combo becuase I miss my 8100 head. And those only had 1 tube.

Comment

i used an ADA and a soldano SP77 with a marshall valvestate power amp. it was the 80/80 version, and it was great at home...but when i played live, it was horrible!!!! i eventually went with a peavey classic 50/50, and it was cool, but i don't like EL84 tubes. i eventually settled on a rivera hammer 120 and was happy.

i think you'd be happy with a valvestate power amp if you don't play live.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

You need a lot of power so it doesn't clip, but it should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
              i think you'd be happy with a valvestate power amp if you don't play live.
              I do play live...well, I did and I hope to again soon...so this may not work out for me.

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              You need a lot of power so it doesn't clip, but it should work fine.
              A lot as in how much? 100w? More?

Sounds like I'm sticking with tubes.

Comment

What's that rule? 5x as much power for a solid state amp, something like that. Solid state tone can be just as pleasing as tube tone, however the clipping of solid state amps isn't pretty, so you want plenty of power so it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                  I run a ADA MP-1 with a Rocktron Velocity 300 and prefer it to when I had a Mesa 2:90, that thing was a piece of crap compared to the Velocity IMHO, which sounds insane, but I'm much happier without it.

Now I just have to wait for my Peavey Rockmaster Preamp to come in, and all will be well in the world

I ran a Rockmaster for several years with my ADA power amp, and it sounded great. Loved the tone and flexibility of the Rockmaster.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

How are the Marshall AVT150H for playing in a live situation,I just picked one up for a good price but haven't tried it in a band situation yet, but I've been pushing it here at home.I've been playing it through my Kustom Q 4x12 and my Jackson Stars custom Rhoads with an EMG81.

Comment

id get an velocity 300 and run it bridged 300watts into a 4x12

Comment

I think tubes driven speakers sound better. Something to do with trannies and how they react with speakers.

Case in point is the popular Marshall 3203 Artist that uses a SS preamp with a tube power section.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback fellas...I'll keep it in mind for the future. As much as I intended to go back to a rack setup, I'm gonna give it one more try. I picked up a used Splawn...we'll see how that goes!

Comment

Well, if you were worried about not being loud enough that will definitely solve your problem. The Splawn Nitro I use to own was loud as fucken hell.
                            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Look in the thread about why people like Valve amps, there's more about the Valvestates in there.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X