What amp should I be using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What amp should I be using?

After 25 tears + of playing rock lead and rhythm guitar I still find that I can't decide on an amp. I play metal and hard rock covers from the mid 70's thru the late 90's as well as prog metal/hard rock originals loosely (very loosely ) in the vein of Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Stevens and Synyster Gates.
    I'm currently playing thru a Kustom HV100HT w/ 4 x 12 cabinet. Like the reliability of the hybrid- not as many tubes to possibly go to shit on me. But the tone is a little like a transistor radio-lacks depth. The high end sounds tinny and the low end is thin even boosted. It DOES have decent on board digital effects but not enough range in their capability. I also have a Mesa Dual Recti Roadster 2 x 12 combo (that I put up for grabs on here) that had great tonal variety and lots of deci-balls, with 4 channels to use as well as a great foot pedal and lead boost. But it just sounded like shit when you cranked it because the preamp gain would cause it to feedback something fierce. I tried dialing back the gain and adding a multitude of OD and distortion pedals out front but that made it sound worse.
    I've played Marshall Valvestates, Peavey VTMs and 5150's and lots of 2 x 12 Peavey combos, mostly solid state amps that did sound pretty good but lacked that organic oomph that a tube amp gives me.
    So, now I'm wondering, do I go back to the Peavey or Marshall solid state heads from my youth or do I forge on and try something new?

i play original music, but written in the vain of what you cover. i use rivera amps - the old ones with the carpet and the metal grille. i have used them since 1990 and have never felt the need to use anything else. the old M/S series is versatile enough to get you from plexi to modded marshall with no problem on the gain channel, and from tweed to black face with clean settings, then from vox-ish tones up to boogie MKI tones when you push the clean channel into overdrive. the effects loop is amazing, the power flexibility is amazing, it takes pedals well....the ONLY thing it lacks for me is MIDI control.

but, if you like the old marshall solid state amps, go for it!! i personally liked the mosfet heads and the first valvestate series.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I had this issue for quite a while trying to find something (price was an issue for me) that suited me and I could stay happy. Not just be giddy like a schoolgirl when I got it home and thinking a week later... Hmmm... Not so much!!... Now I am still giddy every time I hook up my Peavey Ultra Plus 120 and old Carvin 4x12. It's very versatile but (like all heads IMO) needs an EQ in the loop and (again, like all heads) a great cab. I put G12T-100's in and a MXR 10 band in the loop and I'm happy as a clam. Sparkly to crushing. Very reasonably priced too if you find one.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Go the ENGL route. Sounds perfect for you. Powerball II. Expensive, but you had a Mesa so it isn't that much more than a new Recto.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Did you ever try a gate like a decimator in front of or in the loop of the recto? It would have helped with the feedback.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
            After 25 tears + of playing rock lead and rhythm guitar I still find that I can't decide on an amp. I play metal and hard rock covers from the mid 70's thru the late 90's as well as prog metal/hard rock originals loosely (very loosely ) in the vein of Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Stevens and Synyster Gates.
            I'm currently playing thru a Kustom HV100HT w/ 4 x 12 cabinet. Like the reliability of the hybrid- not as many tubes to possibly go to shit on me. But the tone is a little like a transistor radio-lacks depth. The high end sounds tinny and the low end is thin even boosted. It DOES have decent on board digital effects but not enough range in their capability. I also have a Mesa Dual Recti Roadster 2 x 12 combo (that I put up for grabs on here) that had great tonal variety and lots of deci-balls, with 4 channels to use as well as a great foot pedal and lead boost. But it just sounded like shit when you cranked it because the preamp gain would cause it to feedback something fierce. I tried dialing back the gain and adding a multitude of OD and distortion pedals out front but that made it sound worse.
            I've played Marshall Valvestates, Peavey VTMs and 5150's and lots of 2 x 12 Peavey combos, mostly solid state amps that did sound pretty good but lacked that organic oomph that a tube amp gives me.
            So, now I'm wondering, do I go back to the Peavey or Marshall solid state heads from my youth or do I forge on and try something new?
            It sounds like you tried everything but what you really need. a Good old TUBE Marshall Head (800, DSL, JVM) and 4x12 1/2 stack.

Tube combos are horrible because think about it - the tubes are in the speaker cab being rattled to all hell by the speakers.

My first "tube" amp was a Classic VTX I'm still tempted to get anothe cheap one just for fun. I remember I liked the phaser for a comb filter.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              It sounds like you tried everything but what you really need. a Good old TUBE Marshall Head (800, DSL, JVM) and 4x12 1/2 stack.

Tube combos are horrible because think about it - the tubes are in the speaker cab being rattled to all hell by the speakers.

My first "tube" amp was a Classic VTX I'm still tempted to get anothe cheap one just for fun. I remember I liked the phaser for a comb filter.
              I'd be inclined to agree with you on the tube combo rattling the tubes but have you ever tried moving a Mesa Roadster? Oof! Built like a tank and heavy as hell. Ain't much rattling going on there! I did omit one item on the list of needs for my amp and that is it has to sound decent at just about any volume. Tube Marshalls (and for that matter most tube amps) really don't start sounding good until you're driving the them hard with some serious volume. However, down in The Dungeon (a 10' x 15' studio in the basement) during rehearsal and when I practice my craft, that kinda volume just ain't happening. Maybe on stage, depending on the venue. Kinda why I've kept going back to the hybrids and solid-staters- they sound consistent at any volume. Maybe I need to throw a 10 band in the fx loop as suggested by warlock.
              Last edited by vector; 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Randall RM100

Comment

JVM, pv 3120, pv ultra plus, JCA100, engl Blackmore.... id check those out

Comment

I retain my previous opinion - Powerball II. Or Mesa Mark V. Both of those amps can do no wrong. It is very easy to make a recto sound like shit. One of the reasons I sold mine. But I really think the Powerball would do you well.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Randall RM100
                      +1
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                        I'd be inclined to agree with you on the tube combo rattling the tubes but have you ever tried moving a Mesa Roadster? Oof! Built like a tank and heavy as hell. Ain't much rattling going on there! I did omit one item on the list of needs for my amp and that is it has to sound decent at just about any volume. Tube Marshalls (and for that matter most tube amps) really don't start sounding good until you're driving the them hard with some serious volume. However, down in The Dungeon (a 10' x 15' studio in the basement) during rehearsal and when I practice my craft, that kinda volume just ain't happening. Maybe on stage, depending on the venue. Kinda why I've kept going back to the hybrids and solid-staters- they sound consistent at any volume. Maybe I need to throw a 10 band in the fx loop as suggested by warlock.
                        Maybe a JCM800 needs to be cranked, but modern Marshalls sounds great to me at lower volumes. I'm a bedroom player with a DSL100 1/2 stack. Sounds like your biased against Marshalls, but I think most of the music you play was made with these. You'll come around sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Maybe a JCM800 needs to be cranked, but modern Marshalls sounds great to me at lower volumes. I'm a bedroom player with a DSL100 1/2 stack. Sounds like your biased against Marshalls, but I think most of the music you play was made with these. You'll come around sooner or later.
                          Oh yes. JCM800s need to be at 11 to get the tone they are famous for.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

your going to get a million answers, perhaps post your budget I love Marshall based tone but would be afraid of the reliability factor of today built Marshalls JVM's sound pretty good as do the 5150 III's. You could look for an older JCM or JMP 2203/04 with vertical inputs. Best bet would be go play through whatever head and cab you can et your hands on, you ears will do the talking for you, not a bunc f dudes on a guitar forum

I have similar tone tastes and what works for me is Bogner 101B, VHT 50CL w/EQ, Splawn QuickRod, JCM800 2203 and a Mesa/Boogie DC5 for boogie tone.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I run into the same problem... I think it's my ears mostly, so I tend to like a tone one day then the next not as much.

I second the Randall RM100 or any other MTS line amp. With the various premap modules from Randall as well as those modded by Pete (okstrat) or other modders out there you would be able to get pretty much any tone you like. The RM4 is rack preamp chassis that accepts 4 MTS modules (RM100 gives you 3 slots but is a traditional amp head). If volume conern is an issue at times maybe go with a solid state power amp (save on poweramp tubes as well) or go with an attenuator (Power Brake, etc).
                              KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                              I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                              X