Cheap JCM800 copys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap JCM800 copys

I've heard about these for a while. Which companies make them?
    The Yellow and Black Attack!

Everybody
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

If you include "made" them, the Peavey VTM Series amps were a pretty good JCM800 clone that is MUCH cheaper than the real thing, built like a tank, and cheap to buy on Ebay. Bugera is making a couple of Marshall clones now that are really cheap new, and cosmetically look a lot like JMP Marshalls. But the VTMs built in the 80s are still going strong, who knows how long the Bugeras will last? Word is that they have increased their build quality but only time will tell. VoiceX3 is a JCF member who swears by his Bugera and has been gigging with it for awhile now.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have one of the Bugera 1990s and love it. I hard wired the tranny to the board, solving the weak link, and it has been performing flawless ever since. Also, as you can tell by my avatar, I'm a Laney player, too. My 50 watt AOR is basically a hotrodded Marshall clone, as well. My guitarist runs a Sovtek Mig, which, again, is a Marshall clone. The list goes on and on. Never had a chance to try a VTM though, but I'd love to. Heard good things about them.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

ceriatone?

Comment

Just go with a Peavey 6534+. Pretty easy to cop some JCM800 tones out of.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

[QUOTE
              ][/QUOTE]Not sure if that falls under cheap.

Comment

I second Laney AOR. I have a pair of AORs (one head and a 1x12 combo). I also have a DSL100. When I want AC/DC tones, I usually go for a Laney rather than the DSL100's, green channel. The thing they cut out of modern Marshalls is the choke. Part of the equation the old amps had.

Also, the guts in a Laney AOR are very similar to the JCM800's of those days. And both were made in the UK.

As far as cheap, AOR's (unfortunantely for me) rarely make it past 4 bills. My 1x12 I got for $230, the head I bought in Hollywood on Sunset for $500 back in the late 80s.

To me, they aren't worth selling for $400. I doubt I'd part with mine unless the price was doubled, just because I think they are a great amp head and not worth selling for less than that.

So go get one!
                Last edited by DonP; 09-05-2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

How about the Peavey Windsor?

Marshall DSL on green channel with crunch mode on does a good job too. I did a side by side comparison with a friend's 800.

I would even say the Peavey 5150/6505 on the crunch channel. Not exactly a JCM800 but in a similar territory.
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Mig 50/100
                    (although i don't think you'll find these new)
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

the sovtek mig series are def cool

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                        [QUOTE
                        ]
                        Not sure if that falls under cheap.[/QUOTE]

I think we can consider $1000 new fairly cheap, compared to the monstrous ENGL and Mesa pricing.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

I think we can consider $1000 new fairly cheap, compared to the monstrous ENGL and Mesa pricing.
                          not next to the bugera's $450.

Comment

You can find JCM800s and other Marshalls going for reasonable prices if you look around. I've seen some of the less common, 800-era four-holers going for well under $1k, as well as the channel switching reverb models...which are my favorite. The single-channel MV ones seem to go for more from what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                              not next to the bugera's $450.
                              Lets talk value, shall we? $1000 for a superior quality, made in the U.S.A. amp with a resale value = to the Bugera's price.

Save up and give in. You can buy fringe equipment all your life but at the end of the day you will never be completely satisfied.
                              I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                              X