X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a rare amp.

KMD Amplifier. Model #GS100S
    Mid 80's
    Solid State. 100 watts with one of those circular toroidal transformers in it.
    Distributed by the Kaman Corporation for 2 years only. Made in England.
    Richie Sambora and a few other cats were KMD endorsees back in the day.
    This amp has an effects loop, high and low input, 2 footswitchable channels (clean and distortion) and a footswitchable true spring reverb.
    Rumour back in the day was that Laney had something to do with manufacturing these amps. This one is very clean. Each channel has its own completely seperate EQ.
    The toroidal transformer is a great idea. Other manufacturers used them for a while because they are extremely effecient and high power. They are also extremely quiet. Unfortunately, they are also very expensive to manufacturer. This amp is made very well internally. Its clean. How does it sound? To me, like a VERY loud Laney.
    Its certainly Marshall based. The clean is very good. The reverb is outstanding. I think its an accutronic unit. The effects loop is very user friendly. The gain channel can do anything from blues to crunch to high gain metal. Its a little fizzy but to me.. it sounds exactly like how most SS amps from the 80's sounded like. Awesome for old school 80's metal.
    Anyway.. its rare. KMD went very hot and heavy with marketing for these amps. They made SS versions, hybrid SS/tube and all tube. This marketing blitz included some high caliber endorsees. After a 2 year stuggle Kaman bailed out and stopped making these amps. There aren't many around. This one is a very good example. I scored it cheap from a kid who found it in an old studio. It didn't work. I took it apart and both 2.5amp internal fuses were blown. I replaced them and the amp works great. Obviously, somebody was probably doing something stupid with the amp and popped both of them. Other than that.. the amp is clean clean stupid clean.
    Here are a few pics. Trust me.. you won't see to many of these around.

I remember those. Unfortunately, I also remember hating those, no offense. Skid Row was one of those bands using these, earlier one, as you can see in the youth Gone Wild video, I think. While I'm obviously a fan of Laney, judging by my avatar, I never knew any affiliation between the two companies. I'm a mod over at The Laney Posse, so maybe I'll have to do a bit of poking around.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Just found this:

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Here's the rest:

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
          I remember those. Unfortunately, I also remember hating those, no offense. Skid Row was one of those bands using these, earlier one, as you can see in the youth Gone Wild video, I think. While I'm obviously a fan of Laney, judging by my avatar, I never knew any affiliation between the two companies. I'm a mod over at The Laney Posse, so maybe I'll have to do a bit of poking around.

The Laney thing was just a rumour that I heard. I have nothing to back it up.
          I think its a cool amp for a collector because its rare and it has that cool transformer in it. The thing looks like a giant donut. I figured if I couldn't fix it I would just sell it as is on Ebay. Since it only needed the fuses replaced and its working great I am going to use it as trade bait. If I was a collector I would keep it. Especially if I was a collector of amps made in England.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
            I am surprised they don't show my model listed. Mine is a GS100S

Comment

Cool amp John. I remember the KMD amps - didn't Al DiMeola also use them?

Comment

Your amp not listed? Huh.....Could've sworn it was. Bummer.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

I noticed spelling errors in that ad copy right away!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    I noticed spelling errors in that ad copy right away!
                    Yea, the advertisement you posted has a pic of my exact amp. Its probably a typo.
                    The reverb is outstanding. I guessed it was an acutronics. The ad confirmed it.
                    The amp has a 20' cord built into it for a 3 button footswitch that controls channel 1 and 2 switching and reverb on and off. It also has the effects loop send and return in the front.
                    The rear has 2 speaker inputs and a line out to cascade it to another amp.
                    Its a smaller sized head. Similar to a Mark series Mesa. Because of the troidal transformer it only weighs about 20lbs I would guess. It would be cool to find a nice small 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 cab for it.

Comment

Yea Pete, Al Dimeola, Richie Sambora and several others. Check out this advertisement!

Comment

Lonnie Mack!

Traynor is currently using torroidal transformers in their tube heads and combos, for the very reasons you listed.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                          Lonnie Mack!

Traynor is currently using torroidal transformers in their tube heads and combos, for the very reasons you listed.
                          I read a couple of articles on toroidal transformers and they are really kick ass. If I recall.. I had a Galien Krueger 250ML that had 2 of them in it. The 250ML was that small 2 x 5" combo amp that could power a full stack live without even breaking a sweat.

Comment

The Egnater Tourmaster has the toroidal tranny also. They add weight to the amp also.

Comment

Also Tech21 uses toroidal transformers in their Trademark series, a good solution indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X