This is a rare amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    I read a couple of articles on toroidal transformers and they are really kick ass. If I recall.. I had a Galien Krueger 250ML that had 2 of them in it. The 250ML was that small 2 x 5" combo amp that could power a full stack live without even breaking a sweat.
    I still have my gk. giggged hundreds of times with it and a basketweave marshall 412 that i wired in stereo. Used a boss ge7 in front, very marshally/lynch type tone. The speakers were actually a "monstrous" 6.5" LOL.
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

I am now looking for a speaker cab for it locally. I am looking for either a 1 x 12 or a 2 x 12.
      Of course.. now that I need a small cabinet, there are none to be found!

Comment

Pretty cool indeed!KMD made great stuff IMO.
        Look around for a KMD cab to go with it I see KMD 4X12 cabs all the time in pawn shops and music stores.Check with MGR in Louisville Ky I think they have one.
        Or you could trade it to me of course.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Good stuff.
          I saw a hybrid SS preamp, 6L6 powered head a while ago for $150.
          I passed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            I am now looking for a speaker cab for it locally. I am looking for either a 1 x 12 or a 2 x 12.
            Of course.. now that I need a small cabinet, there are none to be found!
            I've got a couple John - check your PM.

Comment

Alright... I was ready to trade this amp locally so I decided to plug it into a cabinet just to see whats up.
              Damn... double damn.
              This amp is loud. Really loud. Stupid loud. Its certainly the loudest 100w SS amp I have ever heard. The clean channel is absolutely pristine with tons of headroom and lots of character. If it had chorus you would swear it was a JC120. Dead quiet too.
              The rhythm channel can go anywhere from clean, to a slight break up to vintage rock to AC/DC to early Judas Priest. The gain structure is absolutely stock JCM800. If you want metal.. add a pedal. Again... very quiet even dimed out. Held notes on my Nuno almost instantly went into a beautiful feedback at my will. This amp really feels and sounds like it has tubes in it. Lots of bottom end. I had the bass set at 4 and it was thumping. It was begging me to play Cat Scratch Fever and Sweet Emotion and anything by Bad Company.
              I am telling you bros.. this is a really nice SS amp head. It will absolutely smoke any SS rock amp I have ever owned. This amp would shit all over a Fender Rockpro 1000. It would shit all over any SS Randall or Laney too. It would piss and shit all over any SS Marshall including the 8100 (which I love). I was playing it with the bright switch off. With the bright switch on you could literally break glass and attract small animals.
              I am still going to sell or trade it because I need a combo amp for a small band project I am joining but I am now re-thinking how much its worth as trade bait because of how good it sounds.It is a very pleasant surprise. I really didn't expect it to sound so good and to be so powerful.
              The hybrid tube/SS and the all tube models must be sick.
              Last edited by jgcable; 09-10-2010, 06:28 PM.

Comment

They are great SS amps no doubt!
                Bottom end is where most SS amps lose it but KMD amps have it in spades.
                My Randall RRM2-120 power amp has enough bottom to rattle a 4X12 cab but any other SS amps I have had/tried just didn't thump.
                Cool as hell amp there JG.
                Last edited by straycat; 09-11-2010, 01:59 AM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a KMD 4x12 with Celestions, bought in 1988 or so. I could have also bought the amp head but I didn't have the money at the time.

What was unique about the head is that it was a solid state preamp with tube output, the reverse of what was "hot" at the time.
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

It figures that these amps would be innovative. The parent company was cutting edge.
                    I am almost hesitant selling or trading it but I really have no need for it at this point. I really need a combo for a side project I am working on.

Comment

Working...
                    X