Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a valve (Or do I?) rack pre-amp... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a valve (Or do I?) rack pre-amp... Suggestions?

Hi folks!

I've just picked up a Mesa 2:90 power amp that I wanna set up as my "rock" amp.
    Its going into a vintage Hiwatt 4X12.

I'd ideally like to stay away from midi if at all possible so i'd like to pick up something like a Soldano sp77 or a mesa vtwin (rack) or Recto pre-amp...

Effects will be simple enough stomp boxes on my board...

I have messed around with a jmp1 (although only with headphones/not through a power amp/cab) and it wasn't really my cup of tea (although probably a different beast w/power amp/cab)..

What are the other alternatives out there guys?
    Really kinda just for hair metal kinda stuff...
    Is it all pointing back to an ADA mp?!!

Thanks in advance!

You're doing a dis-service to your tone quest if you rule the JMP out just on a headphones test. I'd recommend going to the JMP and never looking back.

Comment

Yup..maybe ill borrow that JMP again and give her holly and see what happens....
      At least i can pick them up for buttons this side of the pond...

Guess for a couple hundred quid its an easy choice huh?

Better than shellin out a grand for a triaxis that i mightn't like.....

Thanks!

Comment

SP-77 is a very cool preamp, but probably not the choice if you're using stomp boxes. The JMP-1 is a KILLER preamp, and I hear they really smoke when modded.

Comment

Peavey Rockmaster (non midi, works with a 2 button footswitch and will get you some nice hair metal tones)
          Engl e530 (may be a little too dry)
          Triaxi$
          mesa studio pre
          seymour duncan tube king (not sure how these sound, just throwing it out there)
          ART (sgx? I forget the model name)
          Bogner fish ($$$)

I have an ADA MP-1 and I'm quite happy with it.

Comment

Cool guys....
            Keep em coming!

The Bogner looks the biz but waaaaaaaaaay too expensive.....

Think might start out with Ada/Jmp and go from there....

Currently have a lend of an Axefx Ultra and an Atomic powered FRFR cab.... Very very good but very very expensive!
            (Decent pal to lend that out huh?!)

Will probably invest down the road unless the new Line6 HD modellers are excellent...!

More ideas please

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
              SP-77 is a very cool preamp, but probably not the choice if you're using stomp boxes.
              I have an SP-77 and am quite happy with it. A tubescreamer pedal in front really makes it sing as it doesn't have the insane gain that the pre- of an SLO has.
              Other good preamps I've had or tried include a Rocktron Voodu Valve. The clean wasn't real clean, still a bit distorted, but the distortion is real good, plus it has decent built in effects.
              The Hafler/Digitech T3 Tube preamp also sounds good, but this is an older unit.

All the above I play thru a mesa 50/50 poweramp, sometimes set to the 1/2 power 15 watts.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Just to reporty in..
                picked up a Groove TUbes Trio for a nice price so happy enough
                My power amp is away until next week so gotta sit and stare at it for a while lol..... Might stick it through the Front end of a Hiwatt for the crack!

Now just to save the pennies for a Bogner Fish ;0

Comment

Working...
                X