NAD Rhino "The Beast" all tube head and Laney 4x10 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD Rhino "The Beast" all tube head and Laney 4x10 cab

Has anyone else here had any experience with Rhino heads? I'd never heard of them but it's a really nice sounding amp! Reminds me alot of the Ampeg Lee Jackson heads or a Soldano. It also looks very cool! The cab is an old school Laney 4x10 cab that's still loaded with the original Fane speakers! I got these as a package on a trade deal. I haven't decided as of yet if I'm gonna keep them but the Rhino amp has me intrigued. Here's a few cell phone pics the seller sent me before we met up for the trade. I'll take some better ones tomorrow after I get everything cleaned up.

You can see what zeegler thinks if his showed up yet.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
      You can see what zeegler thinks if his showed up yet.
      http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/110...n-these-things
      When I saw this thread, he is who I thought started it, LOL
      I like EL34s.

Comment

I don't know if mine is older or newer than his. Mine has tolex and piping where his has carpet style covering. You can't hardly find out anything about these things on the web. I actually like the tone of mine so far. I still need to play with it some more though.

Comment

Marshall based. I believe at one point they had Malmsteen and Michael Angelo as endorsees. Malmsteen stopped using them because they kept blowing up on him.
          I bet its a pretty decent amp!

Comment

Yeah, they had Malmsteen and Michael Angelo. You can find sound clips at www.rhinoamplification.com .It's a very basic webpage. It kinda looks to me like they made these amps, went out of business and now the guy is using the leftover parts to make some new amps or something. I think the older ones have the carpet covering and the newer ones have the tolex but it could be the other way around. Either way, I think it's a really nice sounding amp. The one I have has 6L6's in it but I'd like to hear it with EL34's.

Comment

Updated pics:

Comment

Looks very cool in proper tolex. I was planning on doing mine in grey Mesa style tolex, but I think I'm going with white Marshall style instead. It just suits it better, and hey, it's rare, like a white rhino!! I think it will look bitchin'!
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Who knows man, these things might be the Trainwrecks and Dumbles of the future! HA HA!

Comment

Rhinos were made in my hometown. The carpet covered ones were the early ones. They didn't start making the Tolex versions until just before they went out of business, which was just around the time they released the YJM model.

As you've probably heard they are not very reliable. I had the Beast 2x12 Combo. It was a heavy sucker. I think I paid about $255 for it and it was mint. Got it at a pawn shop. It never grew on me tone wise and the it lacked the power and umph of a 100 watt head. It could be that I just got one of the bad ones. I talked to the owner of a local shop once, he was a dealer for Rhino at one time, and he told me that most of the ones he sold went back for repairs. Also tole me a story about having a clinic with Michael Angelo Batio once while he was endorsing Rhino. Told me he blew two heads before the clinic was over. I remember trying to make it out to the clinic but couldn't at the time. From what I've read Rhino screwed over a few people before they went under.
                    Last edited by krimson; 09-21-2010, 12:26 PM.
                    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

I have a Rhino Beast head. I "really" like it alot... it's not perfect, like.. I hear no difference between switching between 50 and 100 watts... mine might be stuck on 100????.... & the reverb does nothing but squash the tone... that being said.... I LOVE the sound of it... I'm currently using it with a fender super sonic 2x12 cab.... I would like to own a backup Rhino head in case the one I have ever kicks the bucket... So, If yours works correctly and you ever consider selling it let me know, Till then... ROCK THE RHINO!

Comment

Humnnnn .... My Rhino Beast head is neither carpet or tolex... It has kinda like a hard plastic black grey flake coating over some sort of wood I'm guessing. I'd love to get my hands on another similar to mine. The serial number on mine is BST00012..... I love the dynamics and overdrive.. It suits my style of playing very well...

Comment

Sorry, but I already sold it locally. It just never grew on me but it worked flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                          X