Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the thing with tube amps and why do people like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the thing with tube amps and why do people like it?

Plus, what's the difference between distortion and overdrive?

Well, I will do my best to describe. I used solid state amps for years and recently went to an all tube amp. The distortion/overdrive of the amp has more depth to it and doesn't sound as muddy as a ss. (maybe because I was using cheap ass ss amps??) Anyways, the od is crisp, clear, and doesn't offer lots of background fuzz, but is very driven. On the cleans, and maybe this is just me drinking the cool aid, I get such deep, thick, full sounds.

I don't know, but the sound is much more alive and vibrant.

Probaly didn't help, but hopefully someone else will add their 2 cents.
    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

i use tube amps because of the way the tubes naturally compress as the volume increases. i also like there to be some distortion at the power amp, not just at the preamp.

i can play loud enough to get some of the cool effects of using tubes. one of those effects IS the ability to have some power amp distortion. being able to take and crank a tube amp, like an old fender 22 watt deluxe, and notice how your playing dynamics change the sound coming out fof the amp is cool. if you try that with a SS amp you get a farting, splattery type of sound. those power amp aren't made to be pushed hard. they are meant to give a tranparent representation of what sound is going INTO the amp.

because of that, i find SS amps to be too "true" to the sound of the actual guitar. plus, the design of SS amps themselves don't allow for much "sag" in the sound as you play, whereas with a tube amp you get some sag that makes playing "feel" better. you will notice that sag more from a tube amp with a tube rectifier vs, a SS rectifier, but you will still be able to feel it on a tube amp with a SS rectifier.

essentially, in my opinion, it all comes down to the reaction of the power stage. i just find a tube power stage to be my preference over a SS.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I play through a solid state amp, primarily because I am a bedroom player and can get a good sound at lower volumes. I also like the versatility. That being said I have played at band volumes with it and it doesn't have the same clarity and "balls" of a good tube amp.

Comment

Warmth. Like vinyl vs CD.

Use both, you'll get it.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Chuck Schuldiner used a Valvestate, good enough for me!
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I spent several years as a "tube snob" until I discovered Line 6 gear, especially the earlier stuff. If you had asked me this question 10 years ago, I would have said:

"Tube amps sound much more 'human' in their response to the player. The dynamics and nuances in the feel are far superior to solid state. Solid state distortion must be artificially processed to sound halfway decent, while tube amps respond based on how much power is across them. Also, tube amp distortion has a clarity that solid state can't match. You just can't get a nice, tight 'chunka chunka' sound with a solid state amp."

Then I heard the original Line 6 Modern Hi-Gain sound and I was blown away. Within about seven seconds, I can dial in the sound I was getting on my Marshall JCM800 2210 with a Boss Metal Zone, GE-7 EQ, Digitech PDS 20/20 delay, reverb, and holding my mouth just right at certain times of the day.

One caveat.....it's not really fair to compare "solid state" against modeling. Yes, modeling is a solid state technology, but it uses digital processing to get its sound as opposed to using just the core analog circuitry.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I had both and ran a GT-6 via 4 cable method. Both of them sounded pretty much the same to me. I however, am not a "tone whore".
                "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                  Chuck Schuldiner used a Valvestate, good enough for me!
                  odd to see that a Death fan would have the name MartinBarre.

Then again, maybe not.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

go play any non tube amp, and then play a tube amp and you will understand why people love tube amps. there is nothing like em. they fucking rule.

btw, who the hell is chuck shulidner?
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Guitarist for the band Death. I think he did the "vocals" as well. He's dead now.
                      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Go to GC and demo the new Spyder IV's. One version has a couple tubes, the other doesn't. IMO tubes add a lot of punch to a distorted tone.

Comment

I've always played SS until about 2 years ago. I started to notice how most of what I was using sounded digital. Like there was a fizzy background behind the distortion. Took a long time to realize the sound because I really never listened to or played a good tube amp. Only ones that were badly in need of fixing. Say what you want about it but I realized the difference when I played a Blue Voodoo. It sounded very natural and went way past the distorted sound I ever had from a SS. Now I have the BV and a Peavey Ultra Plus and with the right tweaking, I get any sound I want. So now, why switch back.

And I love both Death and Tull.. Depends on the mood..
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                            I spent several years as a "tube snob" until I discovered Line 6 gear, especially the earlier stuff. If you had asked me this question 10 years ago, I would have said:

"Tube amps sound much more 'human' in their response to the player. The dynamics and nuances in the feel are far superior to solid state. Solid state distortion must be artificially processed to sound halfway decent, while tube amps respond based on how much power is across them. Also, tube amp distortion has a clarity that solid state can't match. You just can't get a nice, tight 'chunka chunka' sound with a solid state amp."

Then I heard the original Line 6 Modern Hi-Gain sound and I was blown away. Within about seven seconds, I can dial in the sound I was getting on my Marshall JCM800 2210 with a Boss Metal Zone, GE-7 EQ, Digitech PDS 20/20 delay, reverb, and holding my mouth just right at certain times of the day.

One caveat.....it's not really fair to compare "solid state" against modeling. Yes, modeling is a solid state technology, but it uses digital processing to get its sound as opposed to using just the core analog circuitry.
                            This ^^^. Line 6 was an awakening for me.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                              I've always played SS until about 2 years ago. I started to notice how most of what I was using sounded digital. Like there was a fizzy background behind the distortion. Took a long time to realize the sound because I really never listened to or played a good tube amp. Only ones that were badly in need of fixing. Say what you want about it but I realized the difference when I played a Blue Voodoo. It sounded very natural and went way past the distorted sound I ever had from a SS. Now I have the BV and a Peavey Ultra Plus and with the right tweaking, I get any sound I want. So now, why switch back.

And I love both Death and Tull.. Depends on the mood..
                              The only Tull albums I really like are A Passion Play and Aqualung.
                              I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                              X