Gibson /Norlin Lab Series L5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson /Norlin Lab Series L5

Just picked one up. 100w 2 x 12" speakers, Solid State.
    BB King has been playing one since the late 70's.
    Ty Tabor from Kings X used to play one. He liked it so much he actually had Bruce Egnator make a module for him that emulates it.
    The amp is from the late 70's. Gibson Lab Series L5.
    It was distributed by Gibson, Norlin and Moog designed some of it.
    Its regarded as the best Solid State amp ever made next to the Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus. Built in adjustable compressor, a few very unusual frequency controls, 2 non foot switchable channels, spring reverb, casters, effects loop, bright switches, Hi and low inputs. Its built like a tank.
    The one I got needs speakers. One is blown, the other rattles.
    Amp came with the factory Gibson cover with gold piping.
    Look them up on google. Its a highly regarded amp.
    I have it all apart currently cleaning everything. It works great. It sounds great. Its REALLY LOUD. The only thing that doesn't work currently is the compressor. I think it may be a fairly collectable amp.

Hey John - you're starting to get a cool collection of SS amps. First the KMD and now the LAB. I hope the LAB isn't as heavy as a Twin Reverb - at least it has wheels, right?

Comment

Yeah, in 20 years he's going to start snapping up old Axe-fx units and restoring them to "that old version 10" firmware.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
        Hey John - you're starting to get a cool collection of SS amps. First the KMD and now the LAB. I hope the LAB isn't as heavy as a Twin Reverb - at least it has wheels, right?

Pete, its not heavy at all and it does have casters. I would say its about 40lbs. Easily picked up by one person. This amp is cool. It was in somebodies basement for the last 16 years unplayed and untouched. It needs a restoration. I need to pick up 1 or 2 16 ohm 12" speakers and I should be good to go. One is blown, the other is either loose or its blown too because it rattles. Could be just loose.

Comment

I have 2 Gibson and 2 Kalamazoo brand amps. All tube however.

I couldn't find that amp in ebay completed or open auctions.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            I have 2 Gibson and 2 Kalamazoo brand amps. All tube however.

I couldn't find that amp in ebay completed or open auctions.
            I didn't buy it on Ebay. I bought it locally on Craigslist
            Its pretty beat up with a blown speaker and another speaker that is buzzing like a bee hive. Even with one buzzing speaker, this amp has REAL character. You would really need to hear it to appreciate it. Its certainly has a vibe and thats unusual for a SS amp. Its built like a tank. The components are very high quality. As soon as I rustle up a pair of 16 ohm 12" speakers I will be in business. I am cleaning it up until I find some speakers. It sort of reminds me of both a Fender Twin Reverb and a Vox AC30.

Comment

Played an L5 today. It was literally a clean religious experience.
              What a fantastic sounding amp. Incredible. Just when you think you heard a great clean tone.. this amp comes along.

Comment

I never played the L5 but my first amp was a Lab Series L3. I disliked that amp the more I played it then when the Tom Scholtz Rockman came out I traded it for one at a local music store back in the early 80's. I bought the amp around 79-80 new. It did have nice clean tone but not much else. I think the L5 had more options on it besides being a bigger, more powerful amp.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                  I never played the L5 but my first amp was a Lab Series L3. I disliked that amp the more I played it then when the Tom Scholtz Rockman came out I traded it for one at a local music store back in the early 80's. I bought the amp around 79-80 new. It did have nice clean tone but not much else. I think the L5 had more options on it besides being a bigger, more powerful amp.

I don't think it has many more options. It has 2 clean channels. If you dime out the channel and leave the master at around 2 it distorts but its not something you would ever want to use. This amp is clean. Shimmering clean with tons of body and a very tweakable voice. I bet its a fantastic platform for pedals.. just like the JC120 is.

Comment

I could see why people would hate this amp. No channel switching even though its 2 channels and no gain or distortion knobs. I bought it because its regarded as one of ... if not the best..clean SS guitar amp ever made. Did you know that Dan Pearce is the one who designed it? He worked for Moog at the time and went on to start up Pearce Amplification and now is at ART.
                    He is regarded as the father of the best SS amplifiers ever made.
                    Les Paul even endorsed this amp. It has to be good when BB King, Ty Tabor and Les Paul are all in on it. Another cool piece of L5 trivia.... its the featured amp in the musical Sargeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band featuring The Beegees and Peter Frampton. In the movie there is a wall of amplifiers and they are all Lab Series L5's.

Comment

Working...
                    X