Distortion pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion pedal

I am looking for one for my Gibson Lab Series L5. Its a clean amp with no preamp or distortion on it. Its a 100w 2 x 12 solid state amp. Think of it like a Roland Jazz Chorus without the distortion knob. Anyway.. I am looking for a distortion pedal so i can get a classic/old school metal type of tone. I figure whatever is good for a Roland JC120 will be good for this amp.
    On Youtube there are clips showing the Boss DS-1 that sound pretty good. I was thinking maybe a Tube Screamer but I would like some suggestions.
    Basically... this pedal will be my only source of distortion.
    Oh yea.. one more thing... I am not into those ultra expensive boutique type pedals. I am more of a meat and potatoes type of guy.

Are you looking for more of a rhythm overdrive or a lead-type distortion?
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      Are you looking for more of a rhythm overdrive or a lead-type distortion?
      Both. I don't play with an extreme amount of gain so generally whatever is good for my overdriven rhythm is good for my lead tone.
      I listened to clips of the Vox Satchinator and that sounds pretty good but its not much different than a stock Boss DS-1 to my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        Both. I don't play with an extreme amount of gain so generally whatever is good for my overdriven rhythm is good for my lead tone.
        I listened to clips of the Vox Satchinator and that sounds pretty good but its not much different than a stock Boss DS-1 to my ears.
        I haven't seen it in a store around me, but I've had my eye on the Fulltone OCD for a while now. Check out Youtube for some clips.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          I haven't seen it in a store around me, but I've had my eye on the Fulltone OCD for a while now. Check out Youtube for some clips.
          I listened to some clips and I actually like the DS-1 sound better. The OCD seems compressed.

Comment

The OCD won't color your tone it lets the amp sound come thru.
            I use an OCD on my Class 5 Marshall to get OD and its a great match.Seeing you are a less gain guy like me.
            They are 159.00 new but watch ebay you should be able to score one much cheaper.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Plexitube
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

This one sounds pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zba5dByUvWU
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post

That does sound awesome!

Comment

DS-1 is the classic, that or a Tube Screamer. Can you give some examples of the type of tone you are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post

dam I might buy this one. It sounds really good!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cixelsyd View Post
                        DS-1 is the classic, that or a Tube Screamer. Can you give some examples of the type of tone you are looking for?
                        Anything from Bad Company to Ted Nugent to Early Priest and more recent like Black Crows and Alice in Chains.
                        Again.. I don't play with a ton of gain. I would say a dimed out stock JCM800 is as much gain as I usually use.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          That does sound awesome!
                          Great tone and great player. Did you hear him play eruption? It was dead on. I don't even think Eddy could play it that good.

Comment

Check out the Way Huge Fat Sandwich. It sounds really good.
                            I like EL34s.

Comment

Wow! a Lab Series. My fist amp was a Lab Series L3. I hated that thing but anyway, for what you want to do with the L5 I'd say go with the DS-1. For $39.99 new there is nothing that competes with it. A Tubescreamer sounds good to me on an already overdriven amp but not so much on a clean amp. The OCD is another great pedal but at 4 times the cost of the DS-1. Also be aware that four versions of the OCD have been released so far. Version 4 is the current production while the discontinued versions 1,2, and 3 are available used only and will cost you more than a new version 4.
                              I use all these pedals but I've also used a DS-1 infront of a solid state Randall head and it sounds damn good. I say for $40 new go with a DS-1
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X