No announcement yet.

ultimate hi gain guitar room setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's bedroom only then I would go the studio monitor route. If you think you may gig or jam with others, go with a FRFR.

Comment

I had a Vetta 2 for 2 weeks. Way too complex for me. I could have spent years tweaking it.

The amps you listed are all modellers. They're not going to sound like a real high gain tube amp.

edit: just saw you ordered the AxeFX. Lots of people on here love them, but I buy amps for one or two sounds, not 100
      Scott

Comment

Just get a Behringer (yeah I know ) V-amp 2 or 3...If you cannot find a tone you can use out of that...well bud I don't know what to tell ya.
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
          Just get a Behringer (yeah I know ) V-amp 2 or 3...If you cannot find a tone you can use out of that...well bud I don't know what to tell ya.

No joke, but any cheap modeler processor or small combo amp out there could do the job at home.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

THE BEST super high gain amp that you can get is the FRAMUS cobra, it was used on the first 3 killswitch albums, and on the all of the soilwork albums
            the engl is not bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
              Before I bought my POD a few years ago, I compared it against the V-Amp. Considering that the V-Amp was only $139.00 and included a carrying case while the POD was $299.00 at the time and didn't, I really wanted to like the V-Amp better. But alas, no such luck. For me, the Hi-Gain sounds on the POD just totally blew the V-Amp away.

The final straw was when Guitar Center put a Roland JC-60 as the demo amp for the POD, V-Amp, etc... and the POD still sounded phenomenal across it. I figured if it could get a "metal sound of doom" across that, I had to have one.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                I had a Vetta 2 for 2 weeks. Way too complex for me. I could have spent years tweaking it.
                It is indeed a complex beast. What I think they should do is have some people who know what they're doing sit down with it and come up with the 16 or so best sounds they can get. Then make a version that has those 16 sounds with a degree of tweaking allowed.

Then when you get into adding stomp boxes and putting them in different places in the chain, yeah, you could spend a lifetime making adjustments.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by GCSHREDSHED View Post
                  THE BEST super high gain amp that you can get is the FRAMUS cobra, it was used on the first 3 killswitch albums, and on the all of the soilwork albums
                  the engl is not bad either.
                  You're high. There is no BEST high-gain amp. IMHO, the Cobra doesn't hold a candle to either of my ENGLs in construction and tone. Maybe it's the fact that I don't like either KSE or Soilwork?
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Megadeth79 View Post
                    So guys I am about to order Axe-FX. Yesss! What do u recommend to use with? Powered studio monitors or Atomic reactor? Remember bedroom volume! Thanks
                    I only play at home and for years have tried different tube amps, as well as a couple of Line 6 products. For some reason I was never satisfied with the sounds I was getting, even after getting some of my tube amps modded or after spending a lot of time tweaking effects on the Line 6 products. Three mpnths ago I decided to purchase an Axe FX ultra and I paired it with a couple of Adam Audio A7 studio monitors. For the first time in years, I can say that I'm finally satisfied with the sounds I'm getting. The versatility of the Ultra is unparallel. To me, the search for amp gear is over. If you only play at home, I highly recommend the Ultra/Adam Audio setup. It is expensive ($3,000 ballpark), but worth every cent.

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post
                      I only play at home and for years have tried different tube amps, as well as a couple of Line 6 products. For some reason I was never satisfied with the sounds I was getting, even after getting some of my tube amps modded or after spending a lot of time tweaking effects on the Line 6 products. Three mpnths ago I decided to purchase an Axe FX ultra and I paired it with a couple of Adam Audio A7 studio monitors. For the first time in years, I can say that I'm finally satisfied with the sounds I'm getting. The versatility of the Ultra is unparallel. To me, the search for amp gear is over. If you only play at home, I highly recommend the Ultra/Adam Audio setup. It is expensive ($3,000 ballpark), but worth every cent.
                      Thanks for the advice man. Have a question for you. Do you use anything for preset switching etc...? Like a midi footcontroller I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                        You're high. There is no BEST high-gain amp.
                        There is, the Cameron CCV there was even a studio engineer that worked with Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson who came out saying that Mark's amps were some of the best most versatile, live and recording amps he has ever used.

There is also a reason they sell for over 5k. Mine should be ready this month but I did not have to pay anywhere near 5k for mine.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                          There is, the Cameron CCV there was even a studio engineer that worked with Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson who came out saying that Mark's amps were some of the best most versatile, live and recording amps he has ever used.

There is also a reason they sell for over 5k. Mine should be ready this month but I did not have to pay anywhere near 5k for mine.

Everybody has different tastes and needs...Grim already stated the truth, there is no "best" amp for everybody. The CCV sounds great in the clips that I've heard but to make a blanket statement that its "the best" is for the indvidual playing it to decide. That said, I hope its the best for you...congrats on a cool amp

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post

Everybody has different tastes and needs...Grim already stated the truth, there is no "best" amp for everybody. The CCV sounds great in the clips that I've heard but to make a blanket statement that its "the best" is for the indvidual playing it to decide. That said, I hope its the best for you...congrats on a cool amp
                            I'm with Rupe. Well said!
                            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post

I am going by feedback based on what "pros" in the industry have to say to determine "best" for a current new production high gain amplifier, I am by no means a "pro" so my personal opinion of an amp should bear little weight. I buy gear based on feedback of those people that use the stuff everyday for their job or something I have a refrence for like a major label recording.

See the thing with the internet is that every person that has a bedroom amp thinks their opinion is of equal value of someone who actually is in the industry and making money.

For example if someone on this forum asks what is the best high gain amp for under a 1000 dollars I am going to take the opinion of a member here that is a touring musician into consideration more as opposed to some asshole like me who packs amp heads away in his bedroom.
                              Last edited by AK47; 10-13-2010, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Well, I've been gigging and giving guitar lessons since the mid 80's. I have a home recording studio and am currently recording and producing the music for a national cable TV show (Wired Outdoors on the Sportsman Channel, Fridays at 6:30 EST...you'll see my name in the credits). I may not be Mutt Lange, but I know the deal.

So you've heard a few industry "pros" rave about the CCV (who?)...great, its an awesome amp from what I can tell but I have yet to plug into one. That said, I have no doubt that I could find other "pros" in alarming numbers who would choose differently...it still comes down to personal tastes and preferences. I know one studio owner who has demo'd the CCV and still prefers a Diezel VH4 as his high gain go-to amp. From the samples that I have heard (which are in no way anything to base an ultimate decision on) I prefer the Friedman Marsha to the CCV for that hot rodded Marshall type of high gain tone (although I would reserve final judgement until I plugged in to each). There are people who have already flipped their CCVs for other amps that they feel sound better (including amps by Soldano, Bogner, Friedman, and Fortin). If all of the industry "pros" thought the CCV was "the best", there's no way you'd even be able to get your hands on one since the waiting list would be crazier than it is now.

To say anything is "the best", be it guitar, amp, stomp box, car, tv, blow-up sex doll, etc, etc, etc is pure silliness...everybody will have different opinions, even the "pros". Go make this same statement over at TGP and see how badly you get flamed.

Comment

Working...
                                X