No announcement yet.

ultimate hi gain guitar room setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody can answer for another person "What amp should I get?".

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
      Yes.

Make sure if you get an ENGL you get the EL34-loaded amps though. ENGL's 6L6 amps are infamous for not cutting very well.
      So you`re saying that your Powerball is not cutting well?
      Jackson Soloist SL1
      Jackson Soloist SL3 - SD TB-5

Caparison TAT
      ESP M-II

ENGL Savage SE
      ENGL E570 SE preamp

Bogner 4x12 (V30's)

Comment

Originally posted by drago View Post
        So you`re saying that your Powerball is not cutting well?
        It doesn't in a band situation.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Bump. So AK47, how are you liking your CCV?

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post
            Not at the moment, but Fractal just released a footcontroller for the Axe FX Ultra. It is $750, but I'm planning to get it anyway. I have read good reviews. If you dont want to spend that much, you can go for something as cheap as the Behringer FCB 1010.
            I heard about that overpriced foot controller. The cool thing about it is that Fractal really listens to their customer base because the foot pedals are in the shape of slippers and the buttons have soft tops on them so that when you step on them with your socks on they don't hurt your feet. I also heard they have an anti-dust bunny coating on them.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              I heard about that overpriced foot controller. The cool thing about it is that Fractal really listens to their customer base because the foot pedals are in the shape of slippers and the buttons have soft tops on them so that when you step on them with your socks on they don't hurt your feet. I also heard they have an anti-dust bunny coating on them.
              The Axe II actually has a "Flipper" function that allows you to take all of the great things that you've said about amps and instantly transpose them into a classified ad...this thing was made for you!

Comment

Sweet. I hate putting my shoes on just so I don't hurt my tuddies on my pedals. Especially my Morley wah with the grip tape top - that one is ouchy
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Amps are subjective, - period. Going round and round on this for years, this thread went the gambit.
                  Most studios have the usual Mesa, Diezel, Marshall, Bogner as well as the arsenal of combo's, Vox, Fender etc.

If a player wants to bring in his own personal choice(s), they can and mix it up, go side by side with what's there, but the guys tracks who gets used is going to be the one that has the best tone and part that fits for the song whether it be a plug in, a modeler or the best choice in tube amps.

If you are using a modeler, you should also layer it with a compatible tube amp.

If volume and cost is not an issue, you have a lot to choose from.
                  If you have to consider the noise levels/neighbors as well as a budget then that limits or changes your setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                    The Axe II actually has a "Flipper" function that allows you to take all of the great things that you've said about amps and instantly transpose them into a classified ad...this thing was made for you!
                    Touche!!!!!

Nice post. You got me on that one.

Truth is.. I love amps. There aren't too many amps I don't like or couldn't dial in a pretty decent tone with. I am a fan of tube, SS, modeling and hybrid amps. There are a few brands that I stay away from though. I am not into Fender type tones. I like the Marshall based tones. If am amp has a strong midrange I usually like it. I just picked up a Spidervalve MKII 1 x 12 combo. Haven't tried it out yet but I can't imagine not liking it for a practice amp with a Bogner power section and a Line 6 modeling section.
                    The amp I jam on at home the most is a POD X3 plugged directly into my PC!! I usually throw on Youtube, find cool songs and jam to them.

Comment

Touche!!!!!

Nice post. You got me on that one.

Truth is.. I love amps. There aren't too many amps I don't like or couldn't dial in a pretty decent tone with. I am a fan of tube, SS, modeling and hybrid amps. There are a few brands that I stay away from though. I am not into Fender type tones. I like the Marshall based tones. If am amp has a strong midrange I usually like it. I just picked up a Spidervalve MKII 1 x 12 combo. Haven't tried it out yet but I can't imagine not liking it for a practice amp with a Bogner power section and a Line 6 modeling section.
                      The amp I jam on at home the most is a POD X3 plugged directly into my PC!! I usually throw on Youtube, find cool songs and jam to them.

Seriously, I don't believe its an "either/or" situation...modelling and tubes both have their place and can even be used together with great results. I know we have similar tastes in tone...you would love the Axe if you had one to dial in yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post

Seriously, I don't believe its an "either/or" situation...modelling and tubes both have their place and can even be used together with great results. I know we have similar tastes in tone...you would love the Axe if you had one to dial in yourself.
                        Absolutely. An Axe Fx rig is certainly in my future. Its just a matter of when... not if.

Comment

Originally posted by Megadeth79 View Post
                          Hi everybody,
                          It's been some time that I haven't posted here. So I am planning to reorganize my guitar room. I already have a tube amp (Carvin vintage 16) which I use for Blues and Rock stuff with my OD/Dist pedal (Xotic BB Plus and Suhr Riot) Now I want a hi-gain amp. I dont wanna buy a higain distortion pedal coz for me it doesnt sound like a high gain amp even if I buy the most expensive ones. So I have to decide between 3 choices:

So what do u think? Any other suggestions are welcome of course.

Hey, since you're already a Carvin owner [and I assume you like it] have you considered the
                          new V3M? I just got one, and so far I really like it. It's got 3 power settings, so you can
                          use it at home for low volume practice. Tons of gain, so I think you should be satisfied
                          using it without a pedal, although it cooperates with pedals up front if that's of interest.
                          I think Carvin ships worldwide, so you shouldn't get hosed on the price you you might on
                          other makers' gear. I'm pretty sure the Carvin would be much cheaper than the other
                          options being discussed...

Someone mentioned the ENGL 530 preamp. That's another pretty cool option, esp. if
                          you're primarily playing it for home practice, and, down the road you could incorporate
                          it into a rack system for gigging...

Comment

Working...
                          X