Matching AMP and Cabinet question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grim View Post
    Get an ENGL Invader 100, you'll knock 3 amps off that list. It can do anything.

My 4x12 is loaded with V30s.
    i don't like things that can do many things.
    i used to compromise with for example a singlecoil from a mexico standard in one of my jacksons, trying to get the SRV tone. now i want to buy different amps and different guitars to really nail the sound i want to 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by devreaux View Post
      but there wont be any risk at all of blowing something up if ohms are matched and running 100W or 120W amp through 300W speakers?
      Spiv's posts explained all you need to know, now you're just over-thinking it.

Wattage ratings on the low side are not a risk of mismatch.

I run my own designed 7 watt amps into 30 watt and 300 watt cabs with no concern at all.
      Just make sure the ohms match, that is the critical part.

Along with not running a 100 watt amp into a 50 watt cab-don't even try it.

Comment

i don't like things that can do many things.
        i used to compromise with for example a singlecoil from a mexico standard in one of my jacksons, trying to get the SRV tone. now i want to buy different amps and different guitars to really nail the sound i want to 100%.
        I don't think you understand the greatness of the Invader 100. It does not produce cheap imitations of famous amp sounds. It just rules.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
          Spiv's posts explained all you need to know, now you're just over-thinking it.

Wattage ratings on the low side are not a risk of mismatch.

I run my own designed 7 watt amps into 30 watt and 300 watt cabs with no concern at all.
          Just make sure the ohms match, that is the critical part.

Along with not running a 100 watt amp into a 50 watt cab-don't even try it.
          it's just because english is my third language so it doesn't come to me as naturally as for you for example

Comment

I don't think you understand the greatness of the Invader 100. It does not produce cheap imitations of famous amp sounds. It just rules.
            and if i want all except for metal?

Comment

okay so the important thing with tube amps is to match the ohms with the speakers, like 8/8?

chief: what kind of heads are you using?

i am planning to buy a 300w cab and 3-4 heads containing ENGL, 5150 or 6505, some marshall and a mesa
              That does sound like a plan.

I'm using a 50W JCM800, a combo actually, into two Marshall cabinets loaded with the 25W greenbacks. I've used this setup for the last few years and am happy with it, although I would like to find a good G12-75 loaded cabinet too.

You'll be fine with any 300W cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                That does sound like a plan.

I'm using a 50W JCM800, a combo actually, into two Marshall cabinets loaded with the 25W greenbacks. I've used this setup for the last few years and am happy with it, although I would like to find a good G12-75 loaded cabinet too.

You'll be fine with any 300W cabinet.
                How do you like your JCM800? I used to have one but I liked my eardrums...
                I like EL34s.

Comment

it's just because english is my third language so it doesn't come to me as naturally as for you for example

English is supposedly my first language but I am not very good at it either!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post

English is supposedly my first language but I am not very good at it either!
                    If RacerX is the judge, who is?
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

How do you like your JCM800? I used to have one but I liked my eardrums...
                      I've been very happy with it. It's one of the dual channel, reverb models...a 4210 to be specific. I can't reasonably turn the master up much past two in a condo but get a pretty good sound at that level. Great sound, actually...

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                        I've been very happy with it. It's one of the dual channel, reverb models...a 4210 to be specific. I can't reasonably turn the master up much past two in a condo but get a pretty good sound at that level. Great sound, actually...
                        when it comes to sound, how do i then match the cab and amp?

for example lets say that i have an orange 4x12 cab, 1 peavey 5150 head and one fender twin reverb combo that i want to hook up to the 4x12

will the orange cab work for both metal and fender sound? ^^

Comment

It's really just a matter of common sense, and finding what works for your tastes. Now obviously you don't want to be running a 100 watt head into a 25 watt speaker, and cranking it, because the speaker won't last long. On the other hand, you can run a Smokey, which I believe is half a watt, into a 400 watt 4X12 cabinet with no problem other than draining the 9v battery pretty quickly.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Like Zeegs said, it's all about personal taste.

To see how much speakers affect the sound, listen to the clips here: http://www.eminence.com/soundclips.asp

Same guitar, same lick, same amp. Wildly different sounds.
                            Scott

Comment

Orange cabs are wonderful for metal. They have insane bass response.
                              I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                                Like Zeegs said, it's all about personal taste.

To see how much speakers affect the sound, listen to the clips here: http://www.eminence.com/soundclips.asp

Same guitar, same lick, same amp. Wildly different sounds.
                                is there any page with for example celestion and vintage 30?

Comment

Working...
                                X