Delay Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay Pedals

I've been searching for a specific type of delay pedal for so long and I can't seem to find it. The Boss delays and others are great pedals, but I really don't like how the decibel level stays the same on the first wave. No matter how much I tweak the gain or the delay setting all the pedals I've been trying still have that predominant level on the 1st-2nd wave of delay as soon as you strum a chord or play a note, especially on distortion.

I'm looking for a pedal that's more of an echo kind of delay, not something as strong. If anyone's ever played through a Marshall 100DFX and has used the delay on that, that's the kind of delay I'm talking about. It could be really heavy, or really soft and in the background. It's the perfect kind of delay for me...but I have no idea what stompbox to get to emulate it. Maybe the Marshall Echohead delay pedal? Help me out!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Alfred-Rylands/24331142420?ref=ts

Guitars
    Jackson DKMGT Floyd Rose Turbo, Blue, SD Screamin' Demon (bridge), SD '59 (neck)
    Jackson DKMGT Hardtail, Satin Black, EMG 81 (bridge), EMG 85 (neck)

Amps/Cabs
    Carvin V3 100wt 3-Channel All-Tube Head
    Old Crate Head and Cab from the 90's, Solid state Head 4x10 cab
    Orange 4x12PPC Cabinet, Celestion Vintage 30's, 240wts at 16ohms

Effects
    Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
    Digitech Whammy

I use the Electroharmonix Memory Boy. It has a blend control that allows you to set the mix of original signal to delayed sound. Seems kind of like what you may be looking for.

They have some videos on the site and/or youtube showing what it does better than I could explain it.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Sounds like you want more the Delay/Reverb effect that the old Boss RV-2/3 had:

It's been a while since I used any of these reverbs or delay (I just don't play that sound anymore) but I think it was the RV-3 I had that had a wide delay time with an echo reverb added. I could be wrong.

It could have been the RV-2 since that had a reverb time adjustment up to 10 secs, so you could treat it more as an echo delay... Like I said it's been a while.

I think the DM-3 will give you a nice db reduction vs time aswell, but I have never been rich enough to buy one:

Last edited by bratfink; 09-27-2010, 11:52 AM. Reason: add more info

Comment

have you tried the mxr carbon copy? a friend of mine uses one and he loves it because each repeat lowers in volume like an analog delay.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

@Hellbat. My friend actually has a Memory Boy. I've always wanted to use it to see how it sounds through some settings I have on my V3 and also through my fx loop so i'll definitely check that pedal out. The demo didn't really cover what I was looking for but it's definitely a cool pedal

@bratfink. the RV-2/3 was the next one i was going to try. Someone at a Sam Ash recommended it to me saying it was what I was looking for...but you can never be too sure

@markD. No I have not, but I've heard good things about it. I'll see if I can swing by a GC and see if they have one on display.

Guitars
          Jackson DKMGT Floyd Rose Turbo, Blue, SD Screamin' Demon (bridge), SD '59 (neck)

Amps/Cabs

Effects
          Dunlop Crybaby Wah
          Digitech Whammy

Comment

Carbon Copy does exactly what you're looking for. And, the cheap one I use does that too. Biyang AD-8. I love it! They both can be set with the blend the same way and degenerate the echoes like an old analog. I love them both, but mine was way cheaper. Both basically completely silent too.
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Check out the new Satriani Time Machine Delay from Vox. I LOVE MINE! It's simple and easy to dial in and has 2 different modes and is built like a tank. But best of all it sounds fantastic!
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'm actually going to purchase the EH #1 Echo pedal
                I saw the reviews for it on youtube and it emulated the exact sound I was looking for

It seems that people here use the carbon copy a lot...and I have never heard anything bad about it. I'll see what's up with it before I buy the EH and see if I change my mind. Thanks guys!

Guitars

Amps/Cabs

Effects
                Dunlop Crybaby Wah
                Digitech Whammy

Comment

try a Way Huge Aqua Puss, they just improved and re-released them. You no longer have to pay $600 for one.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

There are so many delay pedals on the market, it really can make you dizzy! I was looking recently and came across a EH Deluxe Memory Boy Delay which actually has its own effects loop built into it! At first, I had no idea why you'd want that, but they show how you can place a pitchshifter as an example in the loop and have the delay repeats come out an octave higher, for example, and keep the original signal unchanged. Pretty neat, I think:

"Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Being an analog delay junkie....I have a keeley modded Ibanez AD9, an EH deluxe memory man and an aqua puss re-issue. I believe all will do what you are looking for through the blend/level controls....lots of options.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Working...
                      X