Amplitube iRig 1st impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplitube iRig 1st impressions

So I bought the interface and the app and gave it a quick run through on my lunch break. I have the full version so I have all 5 amp and cab models, 11 effects (delay, fuzz, distortion, overdrive, wah, envelope filter, chorus, flanger, phaser, octave, noise filter)

Clean - pictured as a Fender Fender panel - The best sounding 'model' of the pack. Nice round chimey tone. Tone controls nice and responsive and 'built in' tremolo.
    Crunch - pictured as a Vox style panel. - Didn't spend to much time here. It's ac30ish kind of, but no seperate gain control so it's pretty much always kind of hairy sounding. I wouldn't expect to ever hit Brian May type sounds with this model.
    Lead - pictured as a Marshall - Lacks gain but does have a real Marshall flavor. Slamming it with a distortion/OD dirty's it up a good deal but it doesn't get into real hi-gain territory.
    Metal - pictured as a Recto - kind of meh, also lacks a bit of real gain which surprised me a bit. 6.5-10 on the gain dial just added hair and fizz. Again, you need to put a 'pedal' in front of it to get real metal tones.
    Bass - I switched to it once by accident. No opinion.

The stomps are okay, nothing amazing, nothing too terrible. The distortion is probably the one I would use the most, follow by the OD. The OD is almost too honky but with dialing with the amp controls. Phase/flange/chorus are all decent and behave like you'd expect. The noise gate is pretty good with hum and hiss when the gain is jacked up. Wah is kind of hard to use unless you drag your toe or other appendage across the touchscreen 'pedal'. The octave is really not great and the fuzz is also kind of useless to me.

The microphone models (dynamic or condenser) are okay I guess, they kind of just let you change the character of the sound a little.

Basically it's a good mobile practice solution and a decent value at $60 all-in for the hardware and app. The sounds and modelling are not groundbreaking, but are decent. The interface on the ipad is really good so I do have to give them props there, but the pop-ups advertising their other products when I'm using the paid app can be a bit annoying. (It only happened once so that may be an anomaly). Soundwise I'd say it rates around pocket-pod level but I definitely prefer the interface on the iRig over the pocket pod's "Hold button a while tapping button b, then rapidly alternating c&d" interface.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

I picked this up too, and I would give it an overall "ok". I think it looks better than it sounds. I've heard of some guys trying to gig with it hooked up to a PA, but I wouldn't recommend that. From what I've read, there are some limitations in the design of the iPhone headphone jack that presents some challenges. There's another product that uses the standard iPhone connector, but it's like $200.

That being said, I use it all the time to practice. Having the tuner and metronome built in is handy. I'm hoping they update the app for some better hi gain sounds.

Comment

I like the idea of the metronome. How about recording and playback? Can you record loops? Can you playback mp3's?
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

No recording/looping, but there is a way to play mp3's (although I haven't actually used that feature myself yet).

Comment

Korg Pandora PX4D does everything this thing does better it sounds like. :dunno:

Except be a telephone, I guess. :think:

Comment

Yeah, the information included is sketchy as far as recording goes. They do say that it can be recorded using any standard app but I have a feeling the modelled sound is not what will be recorded, just the raw guitar signal.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have a PX4 and a pocket pod and yeah the Pandora is a better sounding product for sure. The user interface for the amplitube on the ipad is worlds better than both though. It's very similar to the 11 Rack interface.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Yeah, the information included is sketchy as far as recording goes. They do say that it can be recorded using any standard app but I have a feeling the modelled sound is not what will be recorded, just the raw guitar signal.
                If the app allows VST and you have it enabled on the recorded track then you will hear the modeled sound. With computer based modelers raw signal is tracked anyway (a good thing - it allows you re-amp the track), the modeler is just like an studio effect, you can turn it on or off and you can use it on any track you want no matter what instrument or noise it is.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I don't know if iPad's and Iphones support VST. :think:
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

well Amplitube is a VST plug-in... at least in a computer, don't know about iPuds and whatnots
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      I have a PX4 and a pocket pod and yeah the Pandora is a better sounding product for sure. The user interface for the amplitube on the ipad is worlds better than both though. It's very similar to the 11 Rack interface.
                      Yeah, I barely do anything with my PX4D except switch to US HIGH GAIN and practice. I do have my old drum machine running into the secondary input. But yeah, it's kind of a bitch to mess with the presets or make your own but I'm happy with that one.

Comment

I bought the iRig/AmpliTube package because I spend about half of the year on the road. I do have a Pandora but given how much gear and whatnot that I have to carry on the road, I bought the AmpliTube setup because it's smaller and easier to carry.

I'd definitely agree that the high-gain tones are missing and that the amp models need the boost from one of the stomp boxes to get to even a sort of medium-gain level. That was a bit of a disappointment to me. I do hope that AmpliTube gets an update that improves the high-gain situation.

I think the idea is a great one and I hope that future updates to AmpliTube make this a really good product.
                        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Not to get too far off topic, but I've been disappointed with VST guitar amps. Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy one rather than using the free ones.
                          Scott

Comment

VST modeling motherfuckers generally are shitty in the hi gain department, Guitar Rig or Amplitube or whatever the fuck, they all need boosting and are noisy as hell, noise gate is needed but it takes all the dynamics and sustain away.

Comment

Working...
                            X