6505+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6505+

Anyone who has one, can you answer a question I have about it? Ive played a couple at lower volumes, like 1.5-2 and am blown away by the tone. Do they keep their tone when cranked or do they hollow out when pushed? Im seriously considering selling the TSL to fund one but Ive done that sort of thing before and have been disappointed afterwards without first being able to crank the amp I intend on purchasing(the Krankenstein was a good example it sounded killer at lower volumes or cranked with a guitar in drop C but sucked for standard and drop D which is what I primarily play in).
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Talking about a head I assume? I don't have one but I did do alot of messing with them before I got my Ultra+. I played 3 of them, all through the matching cabs. I wasn't thrilled with the sound. I was kinda comparing it to my bro-in-law's 5150 combo and it didn't have the deep driving brute that the combo has and the word I was thinking at the time strangely enough was "hollow". I have heard quite a bit of good and bad about the cab, so I suspect that may possibly what I didn't like. So I'd just recommend you try it with what cab your going to use as well. Good luck man!!
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

If you dig midrange, keep the TSL. If you like more bottom and more highs get the 6505+

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
        Ive played a couple at lower volumes, like 1.5-2 and am blown away by the tone. Do they keep their tone when cranked or do they hollow out when pushed?
        This is a common problem that I've encountered with amps over the years. I've yet to find one that doesn't do this and it seems like EQ and compression don't add anything to the sound of an amp when cranked. Have you considered putting a mic on your amp and sending it through a PA?

Comment

I did notice the 6505+ was a real fuzz box if you didnt keep the treble and the presence back. The good thing about Marshalls(tube models anyways) is they dont peter out when you push them. My TSL has pretty much lost favor with me since I went in the studio the last time. My 900 is 10 times the amp the TSL is apparently. I plan on keeping the 900 for sure but the TSL Im not so sure about so Im looking at my options.

Comment

To be honest, they do quite well. They have the same sorta traits as a Krank rev. The Krank also is a fizz bitch if you don't roll back the treble and presence.

I will not stop tooting the 6534+'s horn though, that amp was really great. So try both!
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              This is a common problem that I've encountered with amps over the years. I've yet to find one that doesn't do this and it seems like EQ and compression don't add anything to the sound of an amp when cranked. Have you considered putting a mic on your amp and sending it through a PA?
              My 900 and TSL both sound great cranked, the 900 more than the TSL and I just cant get a satisfactory recording with the TSL. All the tube Marshalls Ive ever had have held their tone at high volumes, am just curious of what other amps do, because Ive found many of them loose their tone at high volumes. I know the obvious answers like ENGL and Bogner, but Ive got to keep it in the price range of what the TSL would bring if I sold it because I dont have the extra money.

Comment

My 900 and TSL both sound great cranked, the 900 more than the TSL and I just cant get a satisfactory recording with the TSL. All the tube Marshalls Ive ever had have held their tone at high volumes, am just curious of what other amps do, because Ive found many of them loose their tone at high volumes. I know the obvious answers like ENGL and Bogner, but Ive got to keep it in the price range of what the TSL would bring if I sold it because I dont have the extra money.
                Used Mesa Dual Recitifer? Can grab a 3 channel one for $1300.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

My 900 and TSL both sound great cranked, the 900 more than the TSL and I just cant get a satisfactory recording with the TSL.
                  Then it might be something about the way you are recording it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                    Used Mesa Dual Recitifer? Can grab a 3 channel one for $1300.
                    But then you have the opposite problem. My Dual Recto sounds good when cranked but at low volume the good tone goes away unfortunately. They're also not the easiest amps to dial in.
                    My Bogners OTOH sound good at low or high volume. As an added bonus the Uberschall has a gain knob that can be cranked as high as you want and it still sounds great. Tons of useable gain! They are pricey although I have seen a couple lately that went for $1700 and in mint shape according to their ads.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      But then you have the opposite problem. My Dual Recto sounds good when cranked but at low volume the good tone goes away unfortunately. They're also not the easiest amps to dial in.
                      My Bogners OTOH sound good at low or high volume. As an added bonus the Uberschall has a gain knob that can be cranked as high as you want and it still sounds great. Tons of useable gain! They are pricey although I have seen a couple lately that went for $1700 and in mint shape according to their ads.
                      Mine sounded good whatever the fuck I did to it, I'm sorry I sold it. Wish I had it back.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                        Then it might be something about the way you are recording it.
                        It was miced exactly the same, I never moved the cab, just stacked the 900 on top and the tone was instantly where I wanted it. Im not set on getting rid of the TSL yet as the tone is good live, but weve been in the studio a lot and I like variation but the TSL just isnt cutting(no pun intended) in the studio. My other guitarist has been getting great recorded and live tone from his Egnater 4100, but Im for aesthetics as much as anything else and the entire Egnator series is fugly in my opinion. Im probly confusing right now but Im as picky about my amps as I am my guitars. Ive had nearly as many amps as Ive had guitars and just like my guitars, Id like to have more than one that I love all around.
                        Last edited by Twitch; 10-18-2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I agree. with all of the above. I also totally dig the JCM900. Outstanding classic 80's/90's metal clean channel and a killer gain channel that just gets better and better as you turn it up.
                          I had a TSL50 that I thought was great too but I did like the DSL100 a little better for some reason. Both are great amps.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            I agree. with all of the above. I also totally dig the JCM900. Outstanding classic 80's/90's metal clean channel and a killer gain channel that just gets better and better as you turn it up.
                            I had a TSL50 that I thought was great too but I did like the DSL100 a little better for some reason. Both are great amps.
                            I couldn't get into it... Doesn't provide enough gain for me... And I'm not that much of a gainiac (IGNORE MY AMP LIST )
                            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              If you dig midrange, keep the TSL. If you like more bottom and more highs get the 6505+
                              The 6534+ remedies the largely scooped EQ problem. It substitutes EL34s for 6L6s, as I'm sure you gathered.
                              I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                              X