got a carvin x100b reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a carvin x100b reissue

For those who feel this amp wont do metal, I strongly suggest you try one with a good set of 6l6's. I was told by a few people that if heavy was my thing this amp wasnt for me. I really dont know why that is. This thing is a monster. I got it with el34's and while I liked it it was as I expected and wanted to run an od pedal to get some really heavy tones. So I got some good 6l6's and rebiased the amp and the thing has a whole new character to it. Huge lows, great more manageable mids and just a whole lot more balls. The graphic eq is a life saver. You can dial in some of the most extreme sounds ive ever heard and you dont have to rely on gain to get there. I think there is a huge misconception that to get a heavy sound you have to have your distortion maxed out. With this amp you can dial in the heaviest sounds imaginable without having to be a distortion junky. I really like high gain amps but I think some of them are way to focused on how much distortion they will produce rather than a logical and practical eq section that will actually shape your tone enough so that you dont have to rely so much on distortion. If any of you were on the fence about this amp I say give one a shot but make sure its got the 6l6's. It is a world of difference from the el34 equipped models. One thing is for sure. I am so glad I got this rather than settling for a peavey 6505.

I think I recall someone stating the reissues have more gain than the originals.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

My comments were on the originals which are also great amps... just not great for metal without a pedal out in front pushing it.
      I am happy you are happy with your purchase but IMHO.. you wouldn't have been "settling" if you got a 6505. I wonder if the reissue x100B has the same build quality as the originals?

Comment

I always heard good things about Carvin, but never tried one of those. EQs rock, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          My comments were on the originals which are also great amps... just not great for metal without a pedal out in front pushing it.
          I am happy you are happy with your purchase but IMHO.. you wouldn't have been "settling" if you got a 6505. I wonder if the reissue x100B has the same build quality as the originals?
          Mine was a tank, I liked mine more with EL34s though. The only thing I didnt like about its build was PC board mounted tube sockets. The only reason I got rid of mine was to get my modified 900 back. It sat in the store I traded it to for 6 months or so and I decided that was just a shame, so I traded the X100B for it. Im reallt starting to dig my Randalls again, so who knows, all that trading may have been in vain.
          Last edited by Twitch; 10-29-2010, 11:54 PM.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
            Mine was a tank, I liked mine more with EL34s though. The only thing I didnt like about its build was PC board mounted tube sockets. The only reason I got rid of mine was to get my modified 900 back. It sat in the store I traded it to for 6 months or so and I decided that was just a shame, so I traded the X100B for it. Im reallt starting to dig my Randalls again, so who knows, all that trading may have been in vain.
            The 900 is one of my favorite Marshalls of all time. Should have never got rid of mine. I had a 50w.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              The 900 is one of my favorite Marshalls of all time. Should have never got rid of mine. I had a 50w.
              One of mine too. Dont understand why a lot of people dont like them. "Oh, the 900s use diode clipping for distortion which is SS which is the devil, but my 2203 sounds its best with a Tube screamer(SS device) in front of it, which is cool" No offense to those that boost with an overdrive pedal, your sound is your sound and may not be the sound of others, tone is veeeery much comprised of opinion. Just because I like green and you like red doesnt mean green sucks and vice versa. I just think that some people dont understand the implications of there opinions. Ill probly get flamed bad for this reply, but I really mean no offense.

Also, sorry for futzing up your thread OP.
              Last edited by Twitch; 10-30-2010, 06:57 PM.
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
              X