Need a decent power amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a decent power amp

I'm looking to build a small rack rig and need a power amp. I'm not picky about tube/ss as much as weight. I'd rather not have a 2 pound pre and a 50 pound power amp. I'd also like to stay under $500. I've looked at Rocktron Velocity and Marshall Valvestate for SS. What can you guys recommend?

Also, this is not a "sell me a power amp ad". I just want some information.
    Last edited by lhrocker; 10-30-2010, 11:03 AM.

I've got one of the old 2-space Rocktron Velocity 300s

I had a Mesa 2:90 for a while, and moved it for the velocity, the tone is amazing and the price tag is too!
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Marshall 9100 is a great power amp for around that price, or under.

Comment

I have an old Lee Jackson Perfect Connection solid state power amp that I bought new in the late 80's/early 90's & it's still going strong. Single rack space and not too heavy weight wise. I prefer my Mesa 2:90 or VHT 2:50:2 but it does a nice job. Not sure how hard they are to find.

Comment

Lightweight poweramps:
          I've owned an ADA MicroFET 100. No balls. For strictly home use, it will do OK. Also makes a good bingo hall amp.
          I've played through a guy's ADA MicroTube 200. Same single rack space as above model but it had much better tone and more guts. I'd take a chance if you can find.
          I currently own a MOSValve 962. They are 2 rack spaces, light, always inexpensive, and dependable. I think it's rated at 80 w/p/ch into 4 ohms. It's OK but doesn't deliver the natural low-end and "girth" you get from a tube poweramp of same size.

Of the lightweight catagory, I would have to say that the Mesa 20/20 with the low-end mod has the best tone & balls per weight ratio. They are also at least 2X the cost of the above amps I listed.

Comment

i had a valvestate 80/80 for awhile. i used it with a soldano SP77 and an ADA MP1. it was okay...loud enough, but didn't have any balls. then i got a peavey classic 50/50. it was pretty good. it was loud, had presence and focus controls, and wasn't that heavy. i liked the EL84 tubes also. it is a 2 space amp, so i don't know if that is bigger than you want.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I picked up a Crown XLS 1000. I'll use it and see how it works as I have 30 days to put it thru its paces. Worse thing, I could keep it for bass or sound reinforcement.

Comment

Another vote for Rocktron - I had the Velocity 300. It rocked.

Comment

I have a Randall RRM-2-120 and its a monster SS power amp.
                  Takes up two spaces.
                  I have an ADA microtube 100 and is OK just no bottom end.
                  Last edited by straycat; 11-07-2010, 01:47 AM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Just slightly over your price range, but this looks like a great deal.

The Kiesel Guitars Custom Shop makes pro quality guitars, basses, pickups and accessories for musicians of all levels. Made in the USA, ...

Comment

I picked up a few pieces to try:

Crown XLS1000 - PA amp, 1000 watts bridged into 1100 watts bridged into 4 ohms - for the power it's supposed to put out, it's not extremely loud
                      Marshall Valvestate 8008, 80 watts per side, extremely loud, heaviest of the bunch
                      ADA B200S - 100 watts per side

I've got a lot of jamming to do, but hopefully one of them will be a keeper.

Comment

Mesa 2:90 or Atomic MB-50
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

Another vote for the Velocity 300. Outstanding SS power amp. Extremely powerful and its really hard to tell the difference between it and a Tube power amp. Not heavy either.

Comment

Working...
                          X