Laney AOR Pro Tube 50w combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney AOR Pro Tube 50w combo

Just scored one a few hours ago. Serial # 2463. I think its an early one. It has the Preamp 1 volume pull pot that is also foot switchable, a pull pot for treble boost and a pull pot for bass boost, presence, reverb and a 1 x 12 speaker in a closed cab. I don't know what tubes are in it yet but they sound a little like EL34's. A complete tube change is in order.
    The serial # is handwritten. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10 in regards to condition. Its stupid clean. The guy I got it from was a pro player and he told me it had no issues at all. I do think it probably needs new tubes though. I bet they are original!!
    Anyway, a couple of things I noticed..
    When I use the factory settings for Distortion 1 the amp is very loud even with the master volume on 0.
    When I try the factory setting for Distortion 2 or Distortion 3 per the owners manual I still get volume even with the master volume on 0.
    Is the footswitch a mandatory item for this amp?
    So far I noticed it has a fantastic clean channel and the gain is VERY similar to a JCM800 but with ALOT more bottom end.
    Am I correct in saying that this is not a good bedroom volume amp?
    The reviews on this amp are just incredible. It seems that everybody loves them. Its built like a tank. Any suggestions, or insights or whatever??

I love the Laney sound, but can't offer any specific advice on the amp. I'd try replacing the volume pot if you're still getting sound on 0.
    Scott

Comment

I have an AOR 50 Combo and a 50 AOR head.

I'm not aware of factory settings. Where are you getting those?

I take it yours is an 8 knob model, same as mine?

Do you have the bass knob pulled? This bypasses the master volume and lets a ton of bass through.

My combo didn't come with the original Fane speaker, which sucks, but I've put in a V30 which sounds very good.

If you look at the schematic, it's pretty much a hot-rodded JCM800 with an extra tube for gain. The tone stack has interesting tweaks as well.

Footswitch is not mandatory. The push/pull on the front should be fine.

Comment

I have one of these coming tomorrow! I'm pretty excited!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          I have an AOR 50 Combo and a 50 AOR head.

I'm not aware of factory settings. Where are you getting those?

I take it yours is an 8 knob model, same as mine?

Do you have the bass knob pulled? This bypasses the master volume and lets a ton of bass through.

My combo didn't come with the original Fane speaker, which sucks, but I've put in a V30 which sounds very good.

If you look at the schematic, it's pretty much a hot-rodded JCM800 with an extra tube for gain. The tone stack has interesting tweaks as well.

Footswitch is not mandatory. The push/pull on the front should be fine.
          I got the settings from the owners manual I got for free online right from the Randall website. Just go to the site and go to owners manuals and look for PT50.

Yea, I had the bass boost pulled. The master volume still worked though. What happens is that I can't turn it down to a bedroom level with the master volume. It will turn down, just not low enough. I have to turn it down with one of the preamp knobs. It really has that hot rodded JCM800 tone.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            I got the settings from the owners manual I got for free online right from the Randall website. Just go to the site and go to owners manuals and look for PT50.

Yea, I had the bass boost pulled. The master volume still worked though. What happens is that I can't turn it down to a bedroom level with the master volume. It will turn down, just not low enough. I have to turn it down with one of the preamp knobs. It really has that hot rodded JCM800 tone.

I just read a ton of reviews online and my amp is working perfectly The Master Volume is designed that way when the bass boost is engaged. It has something to do with balancing the gain stages. In any case... I can't wait to throw a new set of killer tubes in it because this little 1 x 12 combo is one bad mutha.
            It really does have that RATT sound. Great clean channel, very nice reverb, and the gain can get you just about anywhere you would want to go. Sounds like a cross between a hot rodded JCM800 and a Soldano SLO because its very clear and the notes have alot of definition. It doesn't sound like a death metal amp though.
            I bet it takes pedals really well. I am going to try a bunch of things tonight and investigate the tubes and see whats up. I am really stockpiling amps lately. The Lab L5, the KMD GS100S, the Laney Pro Tube 50, a few other modeling amps and modeling floor processors that I use all the time and all of my live amps which include the Randall RM100, a Peavey 5150II, a Carvin V3 and a Carvin Quad X. Crazy.... I have 3 beat to crap guitars total and I still feel like I need more amps.

Comment

Yeah, you really have to tweak these and learn how each reacts to the other knobs. Go to the Laney Posse forums. We can help you out, further.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                Yeah, you really have to tweak these and learn how each reacts to the other knobs. Go to the Laney Posse forums. We can help you out, further.

Ron, I was waiting for you to chime in. I know you are a really big Laney user.
                I'll check out the forum. I want to get some tube and bias suggestions!!
                I need to make a footswitch too.
                I am really digging this amp. What a jewel.

Comment

Now explain that to Zeegler. I'll let him tell us what he thought, don't want to put words in his mouth.

The sweetheart is the AOR 30 Combo. Uses a pair of 6V6 tubes and sounds sweet, and doesn't break your back like the AOR 50 combo.

You still haven't said if it has the original Fane speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Ron, I was waiting for you to chime in. I know you are a really big Laney user.
                    I'll check out the forum. I want to get some tube and bias suggestions!!
                    I need to make a footswitch too.
                    I am really digging this amp. What a jewel.

............................Uh.................... ..Check my signature.....................
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

............................Uh.................... ..Check my signature.....................
                      Ron, what a frikkin nightmare!! I have a bunch of preamp tubes and I am getting all kinds of conflicting reports on the tube placements. As suspected, the tubes are original along with the 2 6V6 power tubes. All the stock tubes were unmarked except for 1 which said ECC83 on it. I suspect that is the Phase Inverter tube. My problem is that I can't get the straight and skinny on V1, V2, V3 and V4. Some people say that V3 is the PI. Others say that it is definately V4.
                      I assume V1 is the furthest from the powertubes. So.. where is the PI?? V3 or V4?
                      I have 3 fresh EH 12AX7EH and 3 GT 12AT7's. I put the 12AX7EH's in V1, V2 and V4 thinking that V3 is the phase inverter so I put the stock ECC83 in there. Now I am reading that the phase inverter is V4. Do you know. I cruised the Laney forum and no answer there.
                      Please let me know. BTW.. this amp ROCKS. I can't believe the bottom end. With the bass boost off I only have the bass on 3 and it thumps.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Now explain that to Zeegler. I'll let him tell us what he thought, don't want to put words in his mouth.

The sweetheart is the AOR 30 Combo. Uses a pair of 6V6 tubes and sounds sweet, and doesn't break your back like the AOR 50 combo.

You still haven't said if it has the original Fane speaker.
                        It has the original Fane speaker in it. It uses a pair of 6V6's so yes.. it is an AOR 30 combo.
                        The guy advertised it as an AOR 50

Comment

Correction!!! Its running a pair of 6V6's so I guess its actually an AOR 30 combo. It has the original Fane speaker and this amp is as close to mint as you could possibly get.

Comment

Holy crap, after putting the EH 12ax7EH's in V1, 2 and 3 and a GT 12at7 in V4 I have at least 20% more gain. What a great amp. Its like a little hot rodded JCM800 but with more bottom end.

Comment

I don't think he quite got the cut of your jib there....
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X