No announcement yet.

Marshall JCMs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a DSL2000 DSL100 and for years wasn't happy with the tone, but most recently I have decided that I really like it.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Read in the new guitar world last night that Adrian Smith used a DSL on the new Maiden album.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
        I have a DSL2000 DSL100 and for years wasn't happy with the tone, but most recently I have decided that I really like it.
        What made you change your mind? Just curious
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
          The speakers broke in.

I didn't like my spanking new DSL100 at first either, but now that the speaker have broken in, I absolutely love this thing (DSL100 1/2 stack). I've been told to hit it with a boost, put an EQ in the loop. I bought these things but really, I just love that BLAND tone it is so famous for.

Comment

I didn't find it bland at all actually. It had that awesome Marshall chainsaw grind. I would find totally usable tones with it but I would probably stick an eq in the loop just to do some fine tuning to the output.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Great DonP!!! What cab do you have? I have the 1960A with GT12-75 speakers. Funny has I also have 2 Peavey TripleX cabs and I have yet to try the DSL with them. So many cool toyz so few spare time...

And wait until you can really cranck it. Those Marshall loves to be pushed hard!!!
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

You could always try and find a JCM2550, I think they wipe their arse with all other Marshalls. I have several of the Silver Jubilees and kick myself regularly for letting a 100/50 black Jubilee head go a few years back, I must have been mental for flogging it.
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I really don't know. I thought for the longest time that I was missing something in my tone. The last 6 or so months I realized how much I actually like my tone.
                  "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    I didn't find it bland at all actually. It had that awesome Marshall chainsaw grind. I would find totally usable tones with it but I would probably stick an eq in the loop just to do some fine tuning to the output.
                    Hmm..You don't say? Maybe it's Mazz's ears that are messed up

Comment

Great DonP!!! What cab do you have? I have the 1960A with GT12-75 speakers. Funny has I also have 2 Peavey TripleX cabs and I have yet to try the DSL with them. So many cool toyz so few spare time...

And wait until you can really cranck it. Those Marshall loves to be pushed hard!!!
                      I have the same cab, G12T-75's. I bought my "Orange Crush" DSL back when they first came out in 1998. So the speakers have had a long time to break in.

It was kinda the same for me. All the sudden one day it's like "Wow, this thing sounds great!"

I've tried new ones at Sam Ash and didn't like them nearly as much as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Yes, I found the DSL100/JCM2000 to be superior than both the 800 and 900.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Originally posted by Mazz
                          Apparently very bland tone
                          Nope, I've always said apparently, all the JCMs I've heard (The DSL100 and the 2203) have both sounded absolutely killer, I'm just asking for some more opinions.
                          Gear

Jackson DXMG
                          Jackson JS30RR
                          Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                          Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                          Blackstar HT5H
                          Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                          Marshall JCM 800 2203
                          Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

verticle input 2203 w/6550

This is what you want

That or the 2204. Also the JMP 2203 and 2204's are basically the same thing in a different head case
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I own a JCM2000 and absolutely love it. I'm note a tone pro, but it's given other amps that cost much more a run for their money.
                              Ratt & Roll

Comment

I have a JCM 900 4500. I've heard a ton of 900 hate on various forums, and while I agree that they can suffer from a lack of bottom end, I certainly wouldn't call mine fizzy. Mine has EL34s rather than the stock 5881s, so maybe that's the secret. The somewhat arguably weak low end is easily fixed with EQ. Amps usually have knobs on the front. Try turning them. The 900 is barely capable of doing metal without help. It just doesn't really have enough gain. However, with a boost up front, and an EQ in the loop, it can be a real firebreather.

The only JCM2000 I ever played, was a friend's DSL50 that he brought over to have me swap the output transformer on. He picked up a Mercury Magnetics OT for it, and I said for a case of beer I'd do it for him. I played around with it for a while first, and I found it loose, flubby, and quite boring sounding, without any of the chimey high mids that Marshalls are known for. After swapping the OT, I found absolutely no change whatsoever. He basically wasted $150 and a case of beer, and ended up selling it a few weeks later. Having said that, I'm not prepared to write off the 2000s without a little more hands on experience. I'd like to try out another one, and perhaps spend a little more time with it, to see if I can get it to wake the fuck up.
                                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                                X